cd ripping/encoding

• Thread starter irishpancake
  • Start date
I

irishpancake

hi folks

Looking for any suggestions for all-in-one s/w which can rip cd's, encode as mp3/wma, and send to mp3 player.

I know CDEX will do the 1st 2, dont know about the 3rd. Is free to download. Note that when it mentions "compressed files" it means MP3s, confused the hell out of me for a while.

What MP3 player are you trying to transfer tracks to? Is the s/w that came with the player not suitable?

ClubMan said:
What MP3 player are you trying to transfer tracks to? Is the s/w that came with the player not suitable?

The player is Rio Carbon 6 gig.

It does come with Music Manager Software, but unfortunately my home PC has W98 SE, and the Carbon needs W2k or Win XP to run, and won't install on the box. I think the same applies to the WMP 10.

I may have an older version of WMP, which probably works, but i am not sure, as i am not really a music person, but Mrs. Pancake wants to transfer her Music Collection to the player.

Afaik, the older versions of WMP don't support ripping to mp3, only wma. But the Rio Carbon will play wma files no problem.

mp3 compression is a rather old technology at this stage and many would claim that wma gives equal quality at higher compression or higher quality at equal compression, whichever you prefer — see here.

CDEX would, as posted earlier, rip to MP3 & WMA.

As far as transferring to your player - that's outside the scope of CDEX and would require your PC operating system (OS) being able to identify the device hooked into a USB port.

Have you tried getting an earlier (PC OS compliant) version of the supplied software ? I once had to do that for a samera and found a copy via ebay.

TarfHead said:
Have you tried getting an earlier (PC OS compliant) version of the supplied software ? I once had to do that for a samera and found a copy via ebay.

Hi there again, managed to get my hands on an older version of the Rio Carbon Music Manager s/w.

It works on W95 SE and sees the Carbon ok, allowing me to create profiles, rip from CD's encode in Mp3 or WMA, and send to the device.

Really good little 6 Gig player, and a snap from Dixons at €170.

Back