CD Player for 02 Vauxhall Astra

Sophia2457

I bought this car last February and part of the deal was that a single cd player be fitted (it's written on the invoice maked 'paid'). I was told the dealer would have it in a week...well, here it is October and i'm sick of chasing him.

He keeps saying he can't find a second-hand one, needs a security code etc.

What on earth can I do? Can I even buy One ? I'm so fed up with this run around!
Thanks

You could try the small claims court. BTW Dealers have no problems getting the codes for radios/CD etc, he probably does it every second day of the week.

Towger.

Thanks for the suggestion, Towger - small claims would be my last court of call, but it may hve to happen.

This guy is not a main Opel/Vauxhall dealer - does that make a difference when getting security codes?

He tells me has to wait for another Vauhall/Opel to come in to his dealership so he can take the cd player out of it and put it in to my car - and I have no idea if this is real or made up.

He says if he doesn't do that and puts in just any cr player it will knock out the radio - is this true?

It's a good car otherwise, an automatic, and it took me ages to find a good second-hand automatic (i had it well checked) we could afford after someone wrote off our Almera. The cd player was the only deal breaker and he was so convincing I accepted his word.

Maybe he saw me coming...

Don't suppose anyone has a cd player for an Astra to sell if I don't feel up to continuing the saga with this shyster? And could fit it legally etc?

Just want to play my music!!!

Thanks

I got my car from the 2nd hand dealer and he was telling me he has no problems getting the codes. He just phones the manufactures with the VIN or radio serial number.

I looked up Astra CD players on ebay (http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=Astra+CD+PLAYER). There seems to be a specific model for them, that allows you to remote control it from the steering wheel. This could be what he is looking for, a standard CD jukebox player *may* also integrate with your existing radio.

Towger.

Thanks for going to that trouble, Towger.

There's no remote controls on the steering wheel. He tells me has to wait for a second hand astra to come in to take the cd player out of to put into mine??

And wait, and wait...I think waiting for me to go away.

So it has to be an astra cd player that integrates with the radio? Sorry to be dense, this isn't my field of expertise and I think it's patently obvious to him.

Maybe I should suggest to him he buys one on ebay? He obviously doesn't want to buy a new one for me!

Hi
Just thought I'd ressurect this thread to update you, and let you know what's developed since.

I made a last-ditch phone call to the garage owner, mentioned the Small Claims Court and hey presto! he could get a cd player fitted for me in 2 hours and the only effect it would have on the radio is that the display would not show 'RTE1' or whatever channel you're listening to.

I've to take the car to an In-car Tech place next Wednesday and it'll all be done and dusted.

Suddenly he was oozing charm...no more talk of security codes and second hand cd players..he'll pay the €250 it'll cost to have a single cd player fitted.

For the car-minded out there, this will be ok and not affect anything else or resale value?

I couldn't believe the sudden turn around!!! Thanks for the very effective advice, Towger!!