CD player Digital output

Lambda

Does anyone know if the optical digital output of cd player a direct reformating of the digital data on the disc?
Surly the cd player does not convert from digital on the disc to analague for its standard output then back again from analogue to digital for the optical output.
So if the optical optical digital output is just a copy of the disc digital data,
a €100 cd player connected to a receiver (amplifier) via optical link would have exactly the same performance than a €1000 cd player connedted in the same way. surly I am wrong somewhere.
any though appreciated.

You will find a lot of debate on this topic in the audiophile world - which is better an (e.g.) €5000 krell/meridian/wadia or a cheapo dvd player connected to a higher quality dac then into your amp.

But your question needs to be qualified. A standard cd player has two main functions - first read the cd, extract the bits and then convert them into analogue signals for amplification. This last bit is a key differentiator on many cd players - the dac (digital audio converter) and the analogue output stage.

Jitter is the timing error between the sequencing of the digital samples on recording and the decoding for playback. More expensive cd players are marketed as having better dacs which are better at handling jitter. The dac itself will be responsible for turning the bits into music - so itself is responsible for the "flavour" of the sound coming off your cd. The extraction part of the machine is usually based on a standard mechanism, but again there can be huge differences - key thing to consider here is timing - can the machine resolve all of the information including error processing quickly enough. e.g. Meridian solve this problem by buffering cd audio data in memory before the dac.

A digital amp is one which takes the cd data directly and decodes it itself. There are not many good quality digital amps on the market ie. one that directly reads an digital audio signal, converts to analogue and then sends it on to power amp or speakers. Offhand, I can only think of one - TacT.

If you're talking about an av amp, then you may have problems as a) they're usually no good at all for stereo audio and b) their digital input is for ac3(dolby digital)/dts signals - not red book cd audio.

In the hierachy of digital outputs, optical is usually considered inferior to co-axial (can't explain why, but its probably due to cheap optical circuits not being up to the job of timing)

But my advice to you would be to let your ears determine the difference. In my limited experience, cd players do make small differences here and there, but while cheapos reproduce the basic notes, better quality units make you "feel" the music.

I think aldark covered everything. On any HiFi forum do a search for jitter and theres usually a lot of debate about it. Personally I think a decent analog CD player (even an old one) is better than a cheaper optical output. But it seems to depend on the specific device you are talking about. Some Audiophiles reckon a decent in expensive DVD player, depending on the specific model can compete with low~mid end Audiophile CD players. Its more about the sum of the whole than any one item though.

thanks for that, It does clarify things.
I knew the DAC quality was important, but I thought it was not used for when sending data on the digital output. ( as no analogue is involved)
I did not realised that extracting data from the cd was not a 100% reliable process.
thanks

AFAIK it isn't used in a digital connections. But at some point there has to be a DAC for you to hear it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-to-analog_converter