CD/DVD drive works for games but not audio CD's

Markjbloggs

Title says it all, just to add that my kids got iPods for Christmas and have been copting their CD's from the PC.

Dell Precision 360, XP, all settings default (I think) blah blah blah

What's not working, playing audio CDs through the PC or the importing of audio CDs into iTunes?

What, if anything, changed on the PC in the meantime (e.g. hardware/software added/removed/updated, configuration changes etc.)? Does the drive still definitely read CD-ROMs (games/data etc.) but not audio CDs?

I've windows XP with iTunes. When I insert a CD it comes up with a list of options (including some for iTunes), with the option of "always do the selected option". Your machine might have been changed to always import to iTunes, or something other than just play.

You can run windows media player manually (under programs, -> accesories ->entertainment) & should be able to play it then.

ClubMan said:
What, if anything, changed on the PC in the meantime (e.g. hardware/software added/removed/updated, configuration changes etc.)? Does the drive still definitely read CD-ROMs (games/data etc.) but not audio CDs?

As far as I know, nothing has changed, but you can never tell for sure with kids, can you? I mentioned the iPod thing only because it resulted in a change to the way the PC was being used - I have no reason to suspect the iPod other than the increased demand it has placed on the CD drive,

M

Download the Dell diagnostics for your PC and run them to check for any hardware errors. One part of the test will examine the CD drive.

when you say its not working any more do you mean when you put the cd in, it doesnt automatically come up with Windows Media Player and start playing the cds?
OR... have you tried manually using WMP to open songs on the cd and cant..
AND... have you tried playing songs with itunes straight from the cd
AND... what happens when you try and open windows explorer, go to the cd drive, right click on a song and open with and WMP.

Back