CCPC Ireland. Difficulties receiving follow up from them.

Tintagel

Last late summer I contacted CCPC Ireland regarding a problem I was having with Ryanair. When I made the original contact I received a standard reply that did not really deal with my query. I eventually ended up making at least 4 emails before I got them to even understand my query. Each time they wanted me to deal with the Commission for Aviation Regulation Ireland.

Eventually they decided to look in to it and passed it to the relevant department for consideration. Months later and I have heard nothing from them. I have since sent at least 3 emails to them asking for updates.....silence.

Does anyone know is this standard procedure. I am beginning to feel that my whole endeavour was a complete waste of time.

Send them a letter and say that you expect a reply by a certain date. Say that if you are not happy you will take it to the Ombudsman.

Keep records.

When Ryanair repeatedly refused my refund, I went to the Aviation regulator, and I found them very responsive to both a general inquiry and later complaint via their website. They called me and followed up by email to ensure the case could close.

Not sure what issue you were having, but it might we worth raising it with the aviation regulator anyway to see if they can help/get a faster response.

Does anyone know is this standard procedure. I am beginning to feel that my whole endeavour was a complete waste of time.

The CCPC don't do individual cases. If they decide to follow a lead provided by a consumer, it will only be as part of a broader investigation and these often take months. They have no obligation whatsoever to keep you informed of that investigation.

We are not an ombudsman and so we cannot act on individual consumer contacts or get involved in individual consumer or business issues. We will give you information on your rights to help you resolve the issue yourself.

We may investigate an issue if we feel there is a potential breach of the law and we are satisfied that it meets our prioritisation criteria. Due to the volume of contacts we receive, it is not possible for us to respond to individuals about any possible investigation we may take.

This is part of the response that I received.

"You should also be aware that due to the volume of complaints we receive, it is not possible for us to respond to or update individual complainants regarding the assessment or outcome of their complaint. We will of course contact consumers if the need arises in the course of an assessment, for example if further information or clarifications are required."

So, it seems that they will take on board a complaint/enquiry but never get back to the person to tell them the outcome of their findings? What's the point in raising it with them in the first place?

What's the point in raising it with them in the first place?

That's the core of it...if you want an investigation or support related to your individual case, you should raise it with the correct body.

The CPCC gather details from thousands of complaints, but only take action on a small number. They focus on broader issues.

@Tintagel

Your complaint may be something that the CCPC doesn't have the powers to investigate. "for consideration" may just be something that they take into account in market studies from time to time.

If you give us details we might be able to help. It might be something were you could go to the small claims court.

Your complaint may be something that the CCPC doesn't have the powers to investigate. "for consideration" may just be something that they take into account in market studies from time to time.

Gift Cards/vouchers. They have lots of information on these so I am surprised that they don't want to follow up on a complaint.

I am beginning to feel that my whole endeavour was a complete waste of time.

They tried to tell you to go to the right body, but you wouldn't listen to them. Their website is clear:

What we do with information you provide
The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) is grateful to everyone who takes the time to contact us and highlight areas where legislation may have been breached.

We are not an ombudsman and so we cannot act on individual consumer contacts or get involved in individual consumer or business issues. We will give you information on your rights to help you resolve the issue yourself.

All the information we receive is recorded – in line with data protection legislation and best practice – on our database which is analysed on an ongoing basis to identify where markets are not working well. This analysis allows us to prioritise our work in the areas where it can have the greatest impact.

We may investigate an issue if we feel there is a potential breach of the law and we are satisfied that it meets our prioritisation criteria. Due to the volume of contacts we receive, it is not possible for us to respond to individuals about any possible investigation we may take.

If, after investigating, we believe that a business is in breach of legislation, we have a number of enforcement tools we can use which are:

• Civil proceedings – prohibition orders, undertakings
  • Compliance notices
  • Criminal proceedings
  • Fixed payment notices
  • Publishing trader names
If enforcement action is not appropriate, we can use our advocacy role to try to bring about changes to make markets work better.

Examples of possible breaches of legislation which we review:

It's a bit like the Central Bank.

I encourage people who have a genuine complaint to complain to the financial institution but also to notify the Central Bank.

But they should not expect any response from the Central Bank other than an acknowledgment. But that does not mean that the CB is doing nothing.

Brendan

On a general point pertaining to delay, many State bodies have their staff working from home (pandemic related) which I suspect is having a serious knock-on effect on the speed of investigations. I’m aware anecdotally of cases involving complaints handling bodies leaving complainants and those complained of in limbo for months with no movement.

Back