CC debt passed to UK debt collection Trident. Do i have option to deal with bank UB?

M

mero95

If a credit card debt is passed on to a debt collection firm from the bank do i still have the option of just walking into the bank and clearing it?

Im getting letters and phone calls from a british firm (Trident) threatning me with court, because i missed a payment date, not a month, just that day, i got back on track the next week. im paying it off monthly into the bank, basically hoping to pay a chunk of it here and there, it's €1,200.

Now Im back working I would rather deal with the bank than with Trident to be honest.

I havent missed a month yet, appreciate some feedback.

cheers

Are you in the UK? If the bank has sold the debt than presumably your only option is to deal with Trident. If they are harrassing you, change your phone number, write to them by registered post and tell them to only contact you in writing (not sure if this will work with a UK company). If you can pay the debt back, or pay extra then do so immediately.

You missed a day, try never to do so again, this company seems to have a 'system' whereby they send threatending letters automatically for such transgressions, but it may be just a scare tactic. Just keep on track and I cannot see how they will go to court. But do not ignore them, apologise for being late etc.

In the republic of Ireland mate,but the credit card was with Ulster bank,cheer's for replying.

Same thing happened me in 2008 - I cleared the card totally and will never use that bank again - I think I was a few days late with repayments 2 months in a row or something, got awful letters/phonecalls, it was all very stressful. Anyway Ulster Bank sold on the debt with very little attempt to get in touch with me as far as I remember and I ended up with a load of hassle. As far as I remember I had to pay the UK company directly in the end, I was no longer dealing with Ulster Bank. My advice is clear it totally if you can as they are awful to deal with. As far as I remember after clearing the outstanding balance of approx 3000 I was short a few euro because of a few days extra interest and I got more threatening letters because of that. I had and still have another credit card with AIB, have never had a problem, they will slap on a late charge if you don't make the payment within a few days of the due date, and I once missed a whole month's payment and they just wrote out a letter saying the card might be declined if I used it somewhere. Anyway best of luck with it.