Cavity insulation vs dry lining. Can you help?

ApplePie

Hi all,
Apologies if I am replicating old posts. I have searched the site for the information I'm looking for and didn't find it here, so please bear with me!

My dh and I are currently working on a self build but are a little stuck on the insulation end of things.

I understand that we can either install cavity insulation between the two rows of blocks or we can dry line (the concrete block external walls) inside the house.

We have read up on both but cannot decide which is best for us.

Anyone here face the same dilemma? And can you advise us??

Thanks in advance!
AP

do not simply dryline the inside of the blockwork, thats bad construction.
you can choose to upgrade the noraml cavtiy insulation, or you can actually do both, which is the better choice.

Hi Applepie!

Built my house (a bungalow) 16 years ago and got advise from my old Building Construction teacher to dryline oppose to putting the insulation in the cavity... This was quiet a new idea at the time and he said the house would be much quicker to heat... He was right... After 10 - 15mins of heat coming on you feel the benefit but, when the heat goes off, the heat in the house drops quiet quickly...I mean within 45mins to an hour even though the attic is insulated as well.. At this moment in time, I'm thinking about getting insulation pumped into the cavity just to increase the insulation value... A mate of mine had it done in an older house and swears by it... Whatever about anything else when building you could never over insulate a house and besides, the Regs are changing all the time in relation to insulating houses to increase their energy rating which is a compulsary requirement after July 2008 for all new houses and from 2009 older houses will have to be energy rated also if they are to be sold!

Back