cavity block insulation

RobAMerc

Hi, Just wondering has anybody had this done.

We just had a lad around for a quote, he says they are one of only a few companies doing cavity block insulation and quoted me €1900

Anyone know if this is a good price ( 4 bed semi )?

Thanks
Rob

whats the process exactly?

what does he mean 'cavity block insulation'?

I suspect it's the insulation where they drill a hole in the wall and squirt the stuff into the hole.

AFAIK they need to drill several holes in order to get the whole wall.

I suspect it's the insulation where they drill a hole in the wall and squirt the stuff into the hole.

AFAIK they need to drill several holes in order to get the whole wall.

I'm guessing this is where Syd was heading, bit if it is a cavity block wall, (single skin wall with cavity blocks and not a double skin block wall with cavity) then they'll have to drill each and every chamber to ensure full fill. Not sure you'd ever see a return on this investment.
Leo

To ensure that each and every cavity block is filled would it not be necessary to drill each twice to fill each of the two cavities in a standard 18" block?* And if so would this not weaken the block and consequently the overall structure? This sort of work is very difficult to check to see that it's done properly and I can imagine cowboy operators doing little or nothing and then collecting the money since the home owner can't really do much to verify that things were done properly. Here is a recent thread which might be of interest. As mentioned above a search might yield more.

* Update: looks like I was on the same track as sydthebeat here!

thanks clubman, thats sums up my opinion on it, if it is pump in insulation.

rob, is this what they proposed to do?

Hi guy's,

Thanks for the info - just read the SEI site. Looks as though burning the money would create a better effect.

Thanks for all the help,
Rob

Back