Cavan - nicest areas and could anyone recommend a good girls' school?

Stargirl

Hi, just wondering if anyone has moved to the Cavan area from Dublin?

What are the nicest areas and could anyone recommend a good girls school, primary and secondary. Is it hard to get places?

Many thanks

Re: Cavan - nicest areas and could anyone recommend a good girls school?

I have a house in Bailieborough. Not sure about schools but the cost of housing is half the price of Dublin. And I'm sure thats a big incentive to move there.

virginia, although a very busy and built up town is still a nice town. With the new M3 approaching, the town will take considerably less traffic and i would think that property would increase in value a little or at least hold its own in a period where property prices in general are decreasing.

the 'tec in the town is a good school or alternatively the girls convent in Kells has always had a very good reputation.

There's the Royal School in Cavan also, though that's mixed rather than single sex.

I'm from Cavan originally but a long time since I lived there. ANy specific questions, and I can ask family who still live there.
I would be inclined to avoid Bailieboro from what I hear locally on the grapevine......Virgninia , yes !! Lovely.....Cavan town has some on in leaps and bounds so think about anywhere on the direct route between Navan and Cavan..........

Are you looking at Cavan town or the county in general. Cavan Town - Loreto college -girls only just outside the town has always had a good name. St. Pats College for boys - again long history and good name. Both colleges are a short driving distance from the town centre. Houses on the Farnham Road or out towards the Cootehill roads are very nice and very convenient.

Thanks everyone, I will look into Loreto.

I have family living outside Bailieborough and have never heard anything bad about it - at least nothing worse then Cavan town.
Alot of people have moved from Dublin to Bailieborough, Virginia, Kells, Navan
and Cavan. From what I have heard about Cavan town - the problems are with the locals as opposed to those have have moved from other places.
Would OP consider Shercock. There is a very good girls school in Carrickmacross with a bus service from Shercock.

That's a hell of a trek to be doing to see the relatives in Dublin, no ?
Cavan to Dublin is a nightmare trip and vice versa...

the trek is not too bad if you choose to live in Virginia otherwise it is a good drive from Virginia onto Cavan town. i must prefer using the N4 down the midlands, it is so quick now than using the still very slow N3.
to travel from dublin airport to longford takes about 1 hour 20 mins.

also the Royal School is a fee paying school as far as i know (few thous a year i think) - they have a website where you can see the fees - but saying that it is a good school.

loretto does have a good reputation too and there is some great houses with big prices around the school location.

Hi, I was actually thinking of Cavan-Ballyconnell area, as would be spending time in North also. I would not be commuting to Dublin.

Thanks for the replies.

If you're going to live in Ballyconnell your children can still get a bus to the Loretto in Cavan or St Pats for the boys. A lot of children in the area go to the Tech in Bawnboy though, and there's another secondary school across the Leitrim border in Ballinamore. Basically what school children goes to usually depends on which road out of Ballyconnell they live on, as this will determine which bus goes by their house. There's a good Tech in Belturbet as well, as well as a good primary Convent school. But again, most parents decide the school on the basis of school bus routes.