Causes of rust on new car?

Maggs065

Hi,

My husband has recently noticed tiny rust pieces all over his 09 Opel Insignia - has anyone come across this situation before?
The car is kept on the driveway at home and the car park at work.

Thanks,
Maggs

could they be from stone chips hitting the car? once you chip away the paint and the galvanizing you will see rust develop.

Could it be from salt/grit applied to the roads during the snowey weather?

Or the car was sitting in a manufacturers compound for a year before you bought it. Check the year of manufacture on the chassis plate.

Thanks for all the replies,

We do live near the sea alright (within a half mile), but my car is fine and all our immediate neighbours.
As regards the angle grinder - a panel beater friend of my husband suggested that could be the problem. Our next door neigbour does alot of work in his garage and driveway. My OH asked him last night and he said he's never used an angle grinder. He tends to tell us if he's doing any work so we can move our cars - he's a very honest guy.

It really is a mystery - a lovely car ruined.

Maggs

You're just going to leave it at that? Have you taken it to the dealer to be examined? The Opel warranty is 2 years, the body warranty is probably longer.

all the salt on roads is going to cause this, i spent a good few yrs in sweden and rust caused by salt was a car owners biggest worrry, during that weather it was allways important to rinse off under the car etc.

or welding sparks?

What side of the car are the rust pieces on?

That may help you pin down the source .... depending on places where car is parked regularly.

You're just going to leave it at that? Have you taken it to the dealer to be examined? The Opel warranty is 2 years, the body warranty is probably longer.

I doubt we would be covered by a warranty:
It shall not apply if the defect stems from: external mechanical or chemical influences;

But it certainly is worth looking into. Thanks

Actually belay that, the dealer will just fob you off. Take it into a reputable bodyshop and ask them for an opinion. If they say it's caused by something local, then of course it's not covered under the warranty; but I wouldn't just assume that.

It can be due to water if you haven't dried your car out. Salt also can cause rust especially during snows where salts are used in the roads to avoid slides or if you happen to live near the sea and the most common problem is due to your driving habits.