Cats

DipsyChick

Hi,

We have recently discovered a family of kittens in our garden. These appear to be wild and are attracting some other cats to the garden - six in total at last count.

Any hints or tips on how to get rid of them in a humane manner ?

Thanks.

Same happened to me some years ago. If they can be handled there is a good possibility they could be homed. Cat Protection at 01-2761850/086-1653197 are very helpful or Animal Welfare Veterinary Hospital in Charlemont Street, 01-6714303. If you can put them into a box and take them to the vet that's probably the most humane option. Ideally the mother cat should also be caught and spayed. Cat Protection would arrange to do that.

It's a sad fact of life that there are about a million feral cats in the Dublin area who are multiplying at an exponential rate. Neutering and spaying would prevent that.

My father in law has stopped all cats getting into the garden by running cat-gut(funnily enough) about 4 inches out from the inside of the top of the garden wall. A bolt would have to go into the wall at either end and a couple in the middle for support. He said there was one or 2 cats he had to throw out after they got in soon after he put it up but hasnt had a cat in since. Cheap and effective.
I suppose a run of string would do if you want to make it more visible.

Whatever you do - do not feed them or else they will keep coming back and will bring all their mates too. Dogs and cats not being neutered is such a problem in Ireland, why don't owners take responsibility for their pets?

Back