Cats in Garden.

H

Horse

Folks,
I have a constant problem of cats using my back garden as a toilet. Apart from installing a couple of Jack Russels, is there any solution to terminating this problem?
Regards,
Horse.

Horse

My dad often but pepper in the garden and around the boundaries. Also to keep dogs away he put mineral bottles filled with water in the flowerbeds etc.

Seemed to work, but for the life of me I cannot explain why.

C

Are you sure you dont want them around a bit ?

I dont keep a moggie but two borrow my garden.

Have never had a mouse ( or anything larger ) in the house.

Its as a good deal all round

eDog

If you dont want to keep them around

Your local pet shop will be able to give you something, Its a spray that you spray around the perimeter of your grounds. Based on the same idea as the pepper story.

Re: Keeping out cats

Here's one that works quite well;
Place clear plastic bottles (labels removed), partially filled with clean/clear water, on their sides, in the flower beds or whatever where the cats usually do their business.

Re: its works

They generally dont like acids (citric acid in oranges/lemons, acetic acid in vinegar) - Some people used to leave orange peel around.

The reason why the water bottles work is because the cats don't like looking at their distorted reflection. Also try and lay rope or string down. If that doesn't work - shoot 'em!

Pepper dust.

A size 9 up the rear end is good, but a size 11 with a pointed toe is even better:lol

A size 9 up the rear end is good, but a size 11 with a pointed toe is even better

And suddenly the horrible truth behind Leatherarses name became apparent to all.

-Rd

Whilst pepper and orange peel may be effective in the short term, they wouldn't be quiet as resilient to a heavy shower of rain as a plastic bottle!

Cats

Thanks folks for your suggestons - I'll put them to use this week-end.
Regards,
Horse.

Re: Cats

Get a PIR unit, the type used to switch on outdoor lights
Set it to work in daylight and darkness. Use it to switch a
small solenoid water valve (one from an old washing machine
is ideal)
Connect this via a hose and a lawn sprinkler to an outside tap
Every time the cat enters the garden it will get a good
soaking!

Re Cats.

Bstop - I'm very impressed, why didn't I think of your suggestion myself. I actually have a back light in the garden which is PIR operated. The rest of the gear is close at hand. - Nice one!!

Re: Cats

The idea that filling bottles with water will scare off cats is an urban myth.

I wouldn't suggest something I hadn't tried myself. In my experience it has worked perfectly well at two different houses where cats were previously a real problem.

cats

I tried the following:

- bottles of water - limited success.
- electronic cat scarer - cats just sat in front of it
- scat off - rubbish
- renodine - slight success
- pepper dust - rubbish
- orange peels - sniffed them
- catapult - missed everytime although very close to exploding his head
- stones - not bad if they remember to stay away
- hose them with water - as above
- fence garden - still get over or through hedges
BUT there was only ONE SOLUTION after everything tried..................the neighbours moved

cats

A number of years ago (maybe 4 or 5) I remember seeing a documentary about urban myths. It was either on the BBC or C4.

There was a department at an American university who stated they had created this urban myth themselves as they wanted to research how far it would spread across America, and the world.

According to them, this is how this idea originated.

Back