Cats fouling in the garden.

Just the One

I constantly have cats fouling in my back garden. I have tried many different deterants buit to no avail. I have tried the bottle trick, the hose, pepper, etc. Has anyone got any other suggestions.

Especially with the summer coming, I don't want the the cats fouling the kid's sandpit.

If you do get a sand pit you'll have to buy (or make) a cover for it, there is no deterrent that will keep cats away, unless you want to do 24 hour sniper duty with a BB gun!

They seem to like freshly dug soil in the flowerbeds, at least in our garden. One thing we have found that works is to put lots of small twigs sticking up through the flowerbeds.

Cats hate citrus smells, although spraying your garden with lemon scent each night might be a bit of a deal....but maybe there's something else lemony you could use? or at least surround the (covered) sandpit with it. Otherwise we've a dog now and whilst she does crap in the garden, no cats do!

could you get a water pistol and shoot them with cold water everytime they come into the garden they might leave your grass alone then!

Could try planting lemon balm all over the place - could be a cheap and pleasant (for humans anyway) deterrant.

Are you sure it's cats?
Cats normally bury their faeces (unlike dogs, which leave it lying around waiting to be trod on).

Oh dear. A sandpit?? They are going to think its just a big litter tray for them to do their business in. You will have to cover it over when its not in use.

I have cats myself and they are litter trained and they are out and about too. Any time I have dug up a piece in the garden they always go to the toilet in it.

Cats are very clean animals. When they do their business they dont like to look at it so they cover it up.

No comfort I know to all those gardeners and garden proud people but cats do have their uses as I have found lately. New houses being built on my estate and the place is full of rats and mice. Mine are on a mad killing spree.

I own a couple of the rascals myself and have never found any way to keep them out of anything, and I've tried the pellets and the pepper and the bottles ....

But, as the lesser of two evils, cats will not generally defecate or urinate close to food so I have found that a sprinkle of dry cat food in newly dug beds, repeated every few days until the soil hardens a little (when they often lose interest anyway - they do so love a soft dig!), will help. They'll still wade in and eat some of it, but at least with mine it stopped them digging and fouling.

Orange peel scattered in the garden should help - and if it doesn't, at least you had the pleasure of eating the oranges!

you could always do what we did, get a Jack Russell!!! You get a free guard dog as well, lots of exercise from walking it

Had the same problem up to a couple of years ago, it seemed like the little feckers would wait until I was eating my breakfast to come into the garden and defecate while looking through my window. I found that keeping the grass cut short helped a lot as they generally don't like to keep their faeces on display.

Eventually bought a dog for my daughter and trained him to exit the house like a bullet (on command) and tear across the lawn to the offending cat. I never see the cats come into the garden now even when the dog is in the house, which is most of the time. The dog defecates in one are of the garden (on stones) and will not go on the grass, so it's an extra bonus.

This really annoys me.

Why does everyone agree that dog owners have a responsibility to clean up after their animals but cat owners can leave their animals to roam freely, fouling where they please?

Sorry for the rant but is a pet (geddit?!) hate of mine having to constantly clean up after other peoples pets.

Buy a dog, end of problem and Dogs can be taught where to poo!

I have a dog, and have taught it where to poo and clean up after it if it poos when we are out for a walk.

Why are cat-owners not subject to the same resposibilities?

I'm sure that cats being unlicensed animals and reputedly, officially classified as 'wild' as opposed to pets or domesticated, may be mitigating factors.