caterpillar infestation

M

Millie

My sister just phoned saying there's an infestation of caterpillars in her front lawn. So much she says they're half way to the door. In the garden and on the path is bad enough but naturally she doesn't want them to get in the house either.

How can she get rid of the creatures? In an insecticide the only answer? If so, what kind? Or is there a more humane way to make them go away?

Any advice would be a great help.

I'd imagine at the speed they move at she has a bit of time before they manage to get to her front door!!!!

Actually never heard of this before....sometimes lots of rina makes insects appear on top of the ground as otherwise they drown...

caterpillars

For heaven's sake - don't caterpillars morph into butterflies in a few weeks !!
Have we lost all sense of reality ?
Laoise

Re: caterpillars

Or is there a more humane way to make them go away?

Yes - let them metamorphose into butterflies as Laoise suggests! :)

actually, didn't that big study in the UK that ordinary people took part in over a number of years show that butterfly numbers had collapsed....so let them be!

Mistaken

Oops! My big mistake.

Not a caterpillar infestation but a CENTIPEDE/MILLIPEDE invasion. Hundreds of them. Everywhere.

Re: Mistaken

Even if they did get into the house I don't think that they do any harm. If they're not in the house and only in the garden why don't they just leave them be? I personally think it's great when we have such a diversity of life on our doorsteps (sometimes literally!). It's a shame that many people automatically assume that creepy crawlies are pests that need extermination... Then again I'm the sort of person who can spend hours looking into my compost bin at all the different creepy crawlies it contains and lifting up the handfuls of earthworms that congregate near the top. :)

"Then again I'm the sort of person who can spend hours looking into my compost bin at all the different creepy crawlies it contains and lifting up the handfuls of earthworms that congregate near the top"

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, it's more entertaining than Friends and the characters look better nourished too! :lol

Back