Catepillars on Roses...

mell61

I've 4 x roses in my garden and they are crawling with catepillars at the moment, to the extent that there isn't an intact leaf left on any of the bushes! I've being removing the catepillars every few days (sellotape is great if you're a bit squeamish).... but its 3-4 per leaf!
Anyone have any easy fixes?
The bushes were newly planted this spring, so not mature, should I let the cold weather take care of the catepillars, or should I prune them back?
Any help welcome

I've being removing the catepillars every few days (sellotape is great if you're a bit squeamish).... but its 3-4 per leaf!
Anyone have any easy fixes?
I assume because you're using Sellotape that you're killing them?

What an awful thing to do to such an incredible creature. My son collects them, puts them in a tank with suitable food and watches them transform into pupae. In the Spring there's great excitement and wonder when the butterflies emerge and are freed into the garden.

I hope, if you are killing them, that you either don't have children or they haven't seen you do it!

no, no kids .... I figure that with 75% of my rose leaves turned into lace, I've supported the local butterfly / moth population for generations to come.

That's a good thing!

Look at it this way, you're going to be pruning your rose bushes anyway between November and February, so why not let them have the leaves, they'll be in their cocoons before you know it and you'll have beautiful butterflies to enjoy next year.

my advice is to prune them back - but they may get hit at the open wound by an early frost and therefore allowing dieback to set in. Best to pick them off or - [not everyones cuppa I see...] spray them to really kill them off! [not my opinion everyone - just an option as requested]

best of luck anyway
oirish

i think I'll keep picking them off, I know Delgirl wants me to save the little sweeties, but I prefer to save my plants! Just out again a little while ago and complete branches of leaves have been descimated! all that left are the skeletons of the leaves - literally the veins!
Not pushed on the idea of spraying....