Cat5

It is a type of network cabling.

It can even be used for internet surfing, for instance looking up definitions on :D.

CAT5 is a standard (or quality) of cabling. It is short for Category 5 - I imagine that it is an IEEE standard, but a quick google should give the detail. There are no doubt all sorts of electrical and physical specifications, but to Joe User CAT5 is the term normally used for the network cable from the back of their machine. In the old days it used to be important in that it indicated that the cabling was capable of supporting a nominal 10mb/second of data transfer whereas other CATs supported lower throughput.

These days CAT5 is a bit like colour TV - anyone trying to pawn off anything lower is selling old technology like B&W TV. There are higher specifications available CAT6 & CAT5e, but they are a bit like HD TV - if you *need* them you most likely know all about them already.

z

Very funny :D Is it purely for networking, i read about hooking up controls for the heating via mobile phone and things like that, and people seemed to be using it for this, just thought I'd ask:p

it is for lots of things, like phone lines( bit pricey but works well) and alarms (ideal).
anything with low voltage for carrying electrical signals.

Back