Cat 8 cable

R

rahman

Building a house at the moment and was at the trade show in Punchestown a few weeks ago and this guy was raving about this cat 8 cable for multimedia distribution around the house. apparently the bandwidth is almost twice that of conventional Cat 5e cable.Anybody any experience with this type of cable

Expensive alternative to wi fi which is much more easily upgradable later. I recommend Apple airport extreme as a good example.

if you have the opportunity to run cable do, relying on wireless is fine if you have no choice, run the cable while you can. for distances like a house build cat5e will support gigabit ethernet, and you can still plug in a wireless acess point for any laptops. cat5e will run you 100 euros for 300m...more than enough for a house with a feed or two to every room. if you ever want to stream video or the like around your room you'll be glad you weent wired instead of wireless

I wired the house with Cat6 to future proof but am still to make use of it!! still though when u have the oppoortunity, do it

Hi just to let you know the bandwidth on cat 8 is 1.5ghz. Cat 5 has a band width of 155mgz. Cat 8 will carry tv and sky hd with out any compression giving you better picture quality and signal strenght. You are limited to 20m with hd though.

Also cat8 can carry upto 8 services pre cable.

Hi just to let you know the bandwidth on cat 8 is 1.5ghz.
First of all I am sorry to say bit there is NO Cat8 standard. The highest is [FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]IEC 61156-7 which is MultiMedia and the Kerpen cable - this is what was on display just with another name - exceeds this [/SIZE][/FONT]
Cat 5 has a band width of 155mgz. Cat 8 will carry tv and sky hd with out any compression giving you better picture quality and signal strenght. You are limited to 20m with hd though.

Also cat8 can carry upto 8 services pre cable.
Oh NO!!! The cable can only carry up to 4 services per cable as it has 4 pairs. How can you run a service on one single wire???

The "Low grade" cable MMC-150 or the one on show in Dublin can carry signals up to 1.5GHz and the MMC-230 - which is only a few cents more per meter - can carry signals up to 2.5GHz. So the MMC-230 can carry native SAT signal around the house without the need of any costly electronic devices.

Last edited by a moderator: