Castlerock, Midleton

J

JG07

Went to see a few of the houses for sale in Castlerock at the weekend. Anyone know anything about them they all seem finished but alot seem to be empty?

I suspect that investors thought they might make a killing.
If you need any specific information on Castlerock, send me a PM.

hey there ,
i did a trawl around midleton myself there today and saw in one estate (castleredmond) an apalling amount of houses for sale. (circa 15-20)
we were also in castlerock and broomfield.pricing in midleton seems to be insane at the minute.

JG07 : what sort of money is being bandied about for castlerock ?
i have also seen an awful amount of semi d's for around 315k

Been looking at Midleton for about a year, and it seems like prices haven't changed much in that time; definitely not upwards. Have looked at houses in Castleredmond over the past few weeks, and they are very nice. There are 12 for sale, but 3 are detached, which we're not looking for.
Compared to Broomfield they are a much nicer house, and the estate itself seems very well kept. Going to make some more appointments to see some more this week.
We found that the prices in Castlerock in comparison are a bit of a ripoff; as Recam pointed out, some investers probably hoped to make a killing, which isn't going to happen. The prices are way above average for Midleton.

can i ask are the 12 houses for sale investor properties (i.e. rented at the moment ) or owner occupied ?

i would like to move back to midleton but the amount of houses for sale in the one estate is concerning.probably just paranoid but we are FTB and i would like to get it right first time.

"We found that the prices in Castlerock in comparison are a bit of a ripoff;

I think its fair to say you are not comparing apples to apples when comparing houses in Castleredmond "V" Castlerock.
House floor areas along with internal finish specifications are much better in Castlerock.
In relation to the "Amgen Effect", if you recall the whole Amgen hype was stirred by estate agents, overnight prices shot up (5-10%) I think this is now being corrected.
Agreed that some people speculated on Amgen, but thats the nature of speculating.

Hogzy,
Beeing paranoid when buying your first house is quite normal (we were the same a few years ago), but considering that there are over 300 houses in the estate (it's a guesstimate) I don't think 12 for sale is not higher than in other estates around. It is quite likely that investors are getting cold feet in the current times.

We looked at one of detached houses, as we were a bit nosey ;-) which in fairness was very nicely done up, but way outside our price range. I somehow doubt that investors would have paid for a detached property to rent out, so I imagine the others are also owner occupied.
The 3 bed semi we saw, seemed to have been a rental property, as the furniture was pretty standard, and there didn't seem to be any pictures on the walls, which I find often gives it away. Didn't bother looking at the other 3 bed semis, as the price difference to the 4 bed semi seems to be worth the extra room.
The two 4 bed semis we saw a while back were owner occupied. One is on a corner site with a huge garden; but all the grass to cut put us off The other one was also owner occupied, and sold a few weeks ago.
Now that we've seen a couple of them we're in a better position to compare prices with the internal specifications to find a good deal.

Floor areas are certainly bigger in castlerock (detached) vs. casteredmond (detached) but even the biggest house in castlerock only has one downstairs room. If I was buying a house of ca. 1800-1900 sq. ft I would expect a second living room downstairs. You are paying more for castle rock because the builder paid more for the land - compare the housing denisty of the two estates - the big ones in castlerock are only really detached in name!! Also in castle redmond the earlier phases (ie. not woodberry) have much bigger green areas in the middle of each phase.
I was interested in castlerock when they launched but was put off by the price and fact that it is not exactly walking distance to the main street. I wouldn't be concerned about 12-15 houses been for sale in an estate of 250 - some are 5-6 years old and it natural for people to move on - I'm sure that there are plenty of other estates with similar ratios.

Happy hunting.

My friend is renting one in Castlerock, seems very nice and she is really pleased with it. Hers has central vac, oak doors stairs etc, nice tiling, ufh downstairs & rads upstairs.

Amgen had several of the housed rented for some of their staff and have now begun handing them back as people are moving on, so there are a good few empty.

That said it's a nice quiet estate and handy for the main road to Cork.

My 2 cents worth!

How do you access Castlerock from Cork? Do you have to take the Midleton turn off and go over the flyover? If so that will become chaotic as the estate gets bigger unless they change the priority for people turning right over the flyover.

Yes take the Midleton turn off and go over the flyover. Alternatively, take a right turn across the central mediam before the Midleton exit - I would only recommend this if there are no cars behind you as it involves braking while in the fast (over-taking) lane of the dual carriageway.

A new exit is being planned for Midleton. It will be located just before the Water Rock turn off. It will link to the proposed Midleton relief road (from N25 to Mill Road) and via a flyover to the castle rock road. It is only being planned at the moment so no definite dates for consruction at the moment AFAIK.

You also have to conveniently ignore the sign saying 'no right turn into castlerock estate' just as you appraoch the slip road to turn straight across the N25. Take the flyover its safer!!!!!

The sign isnt anything official. It is not the usual 'no right turn' sign. It says no right turn for Castle Rock residents (or something similar). However, I would agree with you that it is better to use the flyover.