Castlerea, Co. Roscommon

_Paul_

Just wondered if anyone here lives in Castlerea, Co. Roscommon, or even knows the town, and if you had any comments about what it's like living there...?

Very nice town, neat and well kept. Quiet part of the country really but close to Roscommon. Train station there for commuting to Dublin. In a nice part of the country but I wouldn't move there if a hectic social life is a high priority.

Thanks Ciaran!

I heard there's a prison there. Is it in the town, or is it out in the country somewhere? If it's in the town I would imagine it would dominate a small town...

_Paul_ said:
Thanks Ciaran!

I heard there's a prison there. Is it in the town, or is it out in the country somewhere? If it's in the town I would imagine it would dominate a small town...
The prison is on the outside of the town. The road to access it is beside where you cross the train tracks.

It's very much away from view and little to suggest that there's anything there at all.
Overall, Castlerea is quite a nice place. Nice chinese restaurant opposite the church by the way!

Unless you are retiring and looking for a quite life, I dont think Castlerea has much to offer. It has not changed in 40 years, having visited it afew times recently after a long period away. There are no restuarants at all, except for a pub lunch type fare in a run down hotel, so Im told you have to drive to either Athlone or Galway for a decent meal out!
I looked, but could not find a single place to have a coffee there, except in pubs. Its 2.5 hours from dublin in zero traffic, so hardly commuting distance. Despite these comments, some people may like it, but they probably live there already.

It's a journey of 2hrs 22mins by train to Dublin.

I wonder if many commute by train from Castlerea to Dublin by train each day?

Paul, only mad people would do that! Castlerea is not a commuter town and never will be. If people are starting to commute from west of the shannon to Dublin then the world has finally gone mad!

Like the place myself, quite a chilled out area with decent people and good quality of life especially if you're a family as opposed to someone looking for a large choice of restaurants but even with that there's some good options up the road in Ballinlough as well. Town and area starting to develop over the last couple of years and it'll be interesting what the census reults show up in terms of expansion.
Good value property in Castlerea and environs compared to the rest of the country for example 4 bed house for 145k with a bit of space, don't really see that in other regions. For example [broken link removed] among others.

To be honest, I think the farthest you could commute is Athlone. There are some nice (v quiet) villages a little outside Castlerea. Tirin is very 'pretty', quaint and quiet. Would reiterate that I wouldn't move to Castlerea if I was looking for excitement.

Paul,
I am originally from outskirts of Castlerea and it is a very quiet place to live in general.If you are looking to relocate there for e.g with a young family there are very good schools,GAA club & soccer club with very good facilities.

Shopping is as per any town with a Super Valu,Mace & some independent accounts in situ

Also there is a chinese restaurant and very good pubs (IMO) e.g Hells Kitchen,Horse & Jockey.

Castlerea is on the Dublin to Wesport train line.

Alot of new housing developments currently in progress e.g Tarmon Manor,Woodstream & Knockroe Park (Good Value)

Best Of Luck
BPM

P.S - Runner - No changes in forty years?.Are you sure it was Castlerea you were in???

BPM,
Quite sure BPM, as I was born about 10 miles away.
In fairness, I was referring to the town itself not its outskirts or new housing estates. Had a run around the town and outskirts area there a couple of weeks ago as I was back by co-incidence after nearly 40 years.
There is a fair bit of housing developments all right, but the centre of town is the same (or worse) than I remembered it then.
That does not mean its a bad place to live, just might not suit everyone!

_Paul_ said:
It's a journey of 2hrs 22mins by train to Dublin.

I wonder if many commute by train from Castlerea to Dublin by train each day?
I'd guess most commuters from Castlerea would commute to Galway, Athlone, Sligo, Castlebar or Longford since Castlerea is slap bang in the centre of these five locations.

Hi,

I'm originally from the town and would agree with Zoe - people tend to commute to places like Galway and Sligo as both are less than an hour away. To add to what BPM said , Castlerea has also a golf course and and outdoor swimming pool which is unusual for a town of its size. There are a lot of new housing developments going up both in the town and just outside which represent reasonable value given the amienities in the town. It wouldn't be the livliest of places but just to set the record straight - it has two coffees shops !

Back