Castlemeadows, Skehard Rd. Cork

CorkGuy12

Hi all,

First time buyer in Cork here, looking around at the moment, budget of around 300k - came across this estate on Skehard Road in Mahon/Blackrock
Castle Meadows - opposite St. Michael's Cemetery.

Looks quite nice, and seems to be a few houses for sale there. Just wondering, if anybody knows much about the area. Nice place to live etc?

Thanks

i find it strange that the houses there are all around 300k on daft and thats lower than surrounding areas. If the rough element of Mahon is not impacting negatively on the estate and the buildings are sound i would advise you to buy here as the location is good - near the city and ring road and a nice shopping centre. Its also on bus routes. you need to call to the gardai in balckrock and ask about breakin rates in the area and antisocial behaviour etc to get an idea of the area.

I'm not familiar with this particular estate but I know that the area is quite mixed -some very nice parts and some very rough parts. I would recommend that you visit the area at different times of the week and perhaps knock on a few doors to get an idea of what the area is like.

Its a nice estate, I have a few friends living in there, and they've never had a problem. It can be a bit rough over in the estates across the road near the cemetary, but to be honest, there is a element of roughness everywhere you go now.

I know the estate, - the estate itself is quite OK, - but is surrounded by some very rough ones. Its really Mahon, and its a real stretch calling it Blackrock (which as you probably know is one of the poshest, old money areas of Cork), basically akin to calling Mahon Blackrock.

Back