Castleknock -v- Clonsilla

Gulliver1

Hi all,

I have a 400k budget and am seeking advice in relation to purchasing a home/terraced house/duplex in either C'knock or Clonsilla.

I have noticed that Clonsilla is considerably cheaper and am wondering if there is a reason for this - i.e. is it a bad area?
I am not familiar with Dublin 15 in any shape or form.

Kindly advise.

Castleknock would be a lot more desirable hence the higher prices. It depends where you buy in Clonsilla. Have a look at Castlefield on the Clonsilla road, lovely neighbourhood. Also have a look at Charnwood, just off the Clonsilla road, maybe a bit above your budget, I have a friend that lives there and it seems to be mostly families in the neighbourhood.

If you're looking for a duplex then I'm sure you have looked at Station court in Clonsilla, I have been inside one or two of these and they are small enough but better value than Castleknock. This area is nice, seems to be professionals who are owner occupiers or renting.

The traffic on the Clonsilla road can be heavy at times with the train station. There are plans to build an Aldi but there has been objections to the planning permission because it would increase traffic. I think they got the go ahead to build.

Thank you Stephen.

I actually took a drive around C'knock and Clonsilla today checking out estates. (Thank God for SatNav's!).

Visited Allendale in Clonsilla as well as Charnwood - Charnwood was my favourite estate.

In C'knock I visited Annfield but it was a bit of a concrete jungle.

Does anyone know if Charnwood is a good area??

From what I see Charnwood is a good area, although its a big estate there doesnt seem to be any antisocial behaviour, close to the Blanchardstown Shopping centre and Clonsilla train station.

D.15 is a huge traffic jam for many hours around peak times, and also often at the weekeds due to the over development of the area. Its probably the worst area of Dublin for traffic. A short distance up a road might mean an extra 40mins on your journey time in the morning. Some areas are rougher than others, but thats usually obvious to the eye.

Try the drive you had today at 7.30 on a Tuesday mornning or 5pm on a Thursday and see what you think. If its raining even better.

Note the new Castleknock Postal Districts:
All estates in the Electoral area of Castleknock will have Castleknock Addresses.
Estates around the village will be Castleknock.
Estates between M50 and Railway line will be Castleknock West. (includes Laurel Lodge, Carpenterstown, Diswillstown)
Estates beyond the railway Line and south of N3 will be Castleknock North West.( Roselawn, Delwood, Clonsilla Village, Blanchardstown Vilage.

The estates on the city side of Castleknock village - Castleknock East (includes Phoenix Park Dev)

It can take 40 mins to get out of Laurel Lodge if you hit it at the wrong time. So location is very imortant if you've a commute to plan. If you can use the train (if you can get on it) then that might ease the problem. Might develop Claustrophobia and catch all sorts of bugs though. Packed as they are.

Note the new Castleknock Postal Districts:
All estates in the Electoral area of Castleknock will have Castleknock Addresses.
Estates around the village will be Castleknock.
Estates between M50 and Railway line will be Castleknock West. (includes Laurel Lodge, Carpenterstown, Diswillstown)
Estates beyond the railway Line and south of N3 will be Castleknock North West.( Roselawn, Delwood, Clonsilla Village, Blanchardstown Vilage.

The estates on the city side of Castleknock village - Castleknock East (includes Phoenix Park Dev)

This was an April fools joke by the local paper!

Both areas have a lot to offer but I would definitely take the trafiic into consideration. We live closer to Blanchardstown village as other half drives to work and couldn't deal with the traffic that you come across in Clonsilla. Also the weekends are far worse as it is impossible to avoid traffic going to the Blanch centre. The trains are way better than they used to be and the new docklands trains are always very spacious.

A friend of mine just sold his house in Charnwood. He had problems with neighbours, noise, parking and vandalism.
I lived in Laurel Lodge about 10 years ago and the traffic was dire back then. The area was nice though.

Castleknock is definitely a better area from a traffic and amenities point of view (When I say Cashleknock I mean the bit inside the M50, the Navan Road, the Park and the College), but it's expensive.

I live in Carpenterstown, just south of Coolmine train station. There are plenty of 3 bed semis which have been on the market for ages and if you push realy hard you might get one for your target price.

Its a nice area, close to schools (which are full!), close to the train (which will one day be electrified like the dart), close to the proposed Metro West station in Porterstown, close to the Spar/Pub/Doctor etc.

Yes the traffic is bad, but I cycle into work in 25 mins in the city centre. It is the best means of transport by far - I fly through Phoenix Park every morning...beautiful.

The parts of Clonsilla near the village and train station, i.e. Charnwood, Mount Symon, Porters Gate, Allendale are all lovely areas. Other parts of Clonsilla, such as Hunstown, Hartstown would not be so nice IMHO (and this is clearly reflected in house prices).
Have lived in the area for four years now, first in an apartment and now in a house and have had no problems in either.

Back