Cast Iron Gutters & Fascias

ccon

Hi,

I'm renovating an old farmhouse and building on a extension. I'm trying to keep the old look as much as possible with Sash windows, slates, old style plastering etc...

My next step is sourcing gutters and fascias... Does anybody know where i can get Cast Iron Gutters & Fascias??

Hi ccon, like you I'm renovating an old house and I'd like to use cast iron gutters and facias too. But the surveyor and any builders I've spoken to so far don't think it's a good idea. They all say that the modern materials are better. Are you doing the work yourself or do you have a builder??

Have either of you considered contacting a scrap/metal merchants ? I know someone who got a cast iron fireplace from Hammond Lane Metal on Pigeon House Road in Dublin (01 667 5335). I know it's not the same thing but it might be worth a phone call...

Have either of you considered...

Sorry, just re-read secondtimes post and I see he/she wasn't looking for advice. I was getting a bit ahead of myself there!

Your best bet can be a salvage store or try buy & sell. My husbands a builder and he uses trade magazines / buy & sell to source them. I have heard of a place called O Haras in Sligo, not sure how expensive they are but have heard they re good.

Have you considered copper? Expensive, but looks great and fits in very well with restoration work.
Leo

I know when I was building Brooks in Galway had a gutter that was like the old type gutter but not cast iron - probably aluminium ?

It would give you the look you want but last longer or easier to maintain.

Sorry I cannot remember the name but if you ring them they might give you the details.

Hi seccondtime, it was a nightmare trying to get a builder as no one wants to work on renovating an old house... I eventually got one and i must say he is excellent!!! I'm doing all the demolition(dirty) work myself to keep the costs down...

I know there is a place in Dublin that sells the cast iron gutters and facias but i've been unable to find out who they are... I may start turning my attention to scrap yards and see do i have any luck!!!

Secontime: How far are you on your renovation??

Not very far. I have replaced horrible 1970s fireplaces with lovely old salvaged cast iron fireplaces. I've got some plans drawn up cos I need to do a bit of an extension as well as renovations. I haven't actually managed to find a builder to work with yet. I would like to keep all the internal doors and am trying to find somewhere to have them "dipped" to remove all the layers of old paint.

A modern equivalent for the old cast iron rainwater goods is "Alumasc", a powdercoated aluminium product. It looks well, resembles the old cast iron and is acceptable for use on conservation projects. It's not cheap but is corrosion resistant and will not require painting for many years. Alternatively "Lindab" do pressed metal rainwater goods, glavanised or powdercoated, and these are very attractive and would certainly be very suitable on a period property. The copper gutters are stunning also, but I wouldn't like to use them on a single storey roof- theft could possibly be a problem.

I got doors dipped 3-4 years ago, place in Dun Laoghaire. Thirty euro a door, including collection and return. Will try to remember their name but got them from the yellow pages so might still be in it.

You could try Victorian Salvage place on Gloucester St for the pipes.

thanks carpenter you are always a font of knowledge. smmb, if you can remember the name of that place I would be very grateful cos I've checked the yellow pages under headings that I thought would be appropriate and couldn't find anywhere that did the dipping thing.

I found a scrap yard that sells the cast iron gutters () They gave me a quote of €4.50 a linear foot... Do you reckon that is a good price??

Back