Cashless bank branches - why?

So no interest in higher rates on savings, free banking etc?

What???

why is everyone jumping on my statements - I never asked for your opinion on why I am not interested in marketing!

AIB cannot offer me higher interest and I left their current account offering because they did not offer free banking (and before you say it - it is too late the horse has bolted)

For the record, when I am interested in a finance product I will check the whole market. I will not pass by a branch and suddenly be sucked in by some "all flash and no substance" offering they have in their window.

I remember something similar to this in Cork City AIB had a unit in Merchants Quay Shopping Centre (a respectable area off Corks main street Patricks street) at one time you could buy foreign exchange, lodge cash (quick lodge), use an ATM, it wasn't a full branch, it was along the lines of the branch you are all talking about, and guess what happened to it... it closed down, and a notice appeared in the window telling people to use another branch (named), if I worked in that dublin branch I'd be worried for my job, perhaps this a "half way house" method of closing branches piecemeal

yet can we blame the banks? to make some generalisations they must long for the cashless society, sure they make money off commercial lodgements and withdrawls, but it must cost a fortune paying for insurance, securicor, counter staff, carpet etc