Cashing a cheque through ATM at the moment

RichInSpirit

I don't get many cheques any more. Got one this evening and tried lodging it through a bank of Ireland ATM.
It said this service wasn't available. Is this a Covid-19 restriction?

I don't get many cheques any more. Got one this evening and tried lodging it through a bank of Ireland ATM.
It said this service wasn't available. Is this a Covid-19 restriction?

I don’t think so; sometimes there’s a problem with the ATM and it says that. I’d try it again on another day or go to a different machine.

Did you put a card in, as some of the banks for security reasons to know the person lodging the cheque even to a 3rd party account to insert a bank card abd key in pin. Previously you could just key in sort code and account no and lodge the cheque, but in AIB now person lodging must insert a card, even if lodging to 3rd party account.

It was my home branch I tried. I googled covid-19 and I think the branch might be shut or curtailed service at the moment because of the Covid-19.
Passed a bigger branch since and I was able to lodge it.

Sometimes I had issues with different cheques from other banks. Some cheques are bigger than others and this caused AIB machines to reject the lodgement

I use Ulsterbank for cheque lodgements. The self-service machines are quite good and I've never had a cheque rejected. You get a receipt which incorporates a scanned copy of the cheques. The balance is updated instantly which helps with accounting, although obviously the funds won't clear for a day or two and the 'available balance' reflects this.

My cheque did not go through the ATM in my local BOI on Thursday having tried it in 2 machines in the branch. I just brought it to the cashier and explained. She said it happens sometimes and she lodged it

I regularly still get cheques from State Savings and use my local BOI LATM. It is constantly either out of order or cannot accept lodgements at this time but when It does work it's great.

Back