Cash in hand - want 23 in LCD - best bargain?

Sophia2457

Okay, I have about €800 cash and I want to get the best 23"LCD possible, and for less money if possible. We don't want a bigger screen than that - well, up to 26 - amd mot the wall-mounting kind.

I'm totally ignorant of all the technology and am very afraid of being sold a pig in a poke. I also prefer to buy from a store rather than online - in case of problems and so I can ask for a cash discount.

OK, I should be sensible and wait for the sales...but I want it as a joint pressie for me and hubby for Xmas..and as a surprise for him.

So any recommendation of makes and modes (I want a silver surround) and good deals or reliable stores to check out would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Best bargain might not get you the best quality LCD TV as there are a lot of "cheap" models on the market. A few € extra might be well spent. You can get the Sony Bravia 26" for less than €1000 - free standing and in silver or black. I bought one this summer and the quality is excellent. Whatever brand you purchase make sure the set is "HD Ready" ie. capable of receiving high definition digital broadcasts in anticipation of this technology being widely available during the lifetime of the set.

Thanks, gdf, I looked at the Sony Bravia in DID, but they had only one display model left in silver which was slightly reduced cos of scratches to the surround (which would annoy me every time I looked at it!).

They tell me it'll only be available in black surround from now on, which is not what I want. It's a lovely tv, friend of mine swears by it.

Has anyone bought the Bush 27" avilable in Tescos for €699? I just saw it this morning but it's all boxed up so no idea what the surround's like. It's HD ready

You should try Peats, Power City or any of the Sony Centres for the Bravia range. In my opinion the Bush set would be a step down in quality and features.

Thanks again, gdf.

The Bravia is only available now in black surround, which I dont want, but I'll ring a few Sony centres to see if they've any silver ones left.

What do you think of the Philips 26" (see post below)

Specs:
LCD WXGA display
1366 x 786 P
HD Ready
Crystal Clear III
Digital comb filter
Active control
FM Radio
DVI-I Imput

Gobbledegook to me, I'm afraid, but at €799 (they wont give cash discount at DID, I asked), it's not bad pricewise.

Back