cash for stamps

pansyflower

Why oh why does the Post Office insist on cash when buying stamps?

I wanted 4 boxes recently and had trek to the ATM and back with €220, more cash than I like to carry.

banks wont cash cheques and neither will the post office. purchasing stamps for a cheque is the equivelant of cashing the cheque for cash. thought if you had a guarantee card you could buy stamps. post office is out of date though in not being able to use laser for purchases of stamps.

But if you have an AIB laser card can't you withdraw the money and pay for the stamps that way?

I got stamps from my local PO last week and they accepted a cheque no questions asked

I always get stamps paying by cheque. Sometimes they ask me to put name and address on the back.

I always buy the boxes of stamps by company cheque and there has never been a problem and they give me a receipt for my a/c's automatically without asking

I always buy the boxes of stamps by company cheque and there has never been a problem and they give me a receipt for my a/c's automatically without asking

Same here! Also with personal cheque sometimes! Maybe we're just lucky!

My PO won't let me use company cheque, laser or credit card. Don't have an AIB account either so can't withdraw in there.

We buy the boxes with company cheques too. In reality though, Stamps are as good as cash and can be used as 'currency', and thats probably the reasons behind it.

Have you ever thought of ordering them online? The delivery cost is pretty reasonable and you can most definitely pay by credit card. See www.irishstamps.ie, it's worth a look.

Last edited:
Back