Cash, CC, laser or traveler chqs

Chuckles

Heading to New York with family and I have bought a few hundred dollars (in the good times!) but, would need more than this on the trip for sure.
I suppose it would be best to pay the hotel by CC but, I'm wondering which is best for day to day spend?

Should I bring more $$$$$'s... don't like the idea of carrying too much cash from a personal security point of view!
Is laser accepted at ATM's over there and are ATM's as popular there as here?
Will they accept laser in shops & restraunts?
Is it a risk on the currency exchange for the CC as well as laser?

I suppose it'll take €5k in total on spend

Thanks in advance for your comments and guidance!

Chuckles

I'll always do travellers cheques in the US. I'm a bit of a dope with money, always seem to lose some so thats why I do it that way.

Thanks for your response Bob!

Are Travellers cheques dear... what I mean is, do you pay extra for them and how do you cash them... are they basically the same as your normal "cheque" in respect of paying for something?

This qeuestion has been asked many many times before. Try the search function to find previous answers.

Travellers Cheques are a terrible idea for a trip to the US. You will pay over the odds to buy them and pay over the odds to cash them in the US. You will also find that not everywhere will cash them. See this SBP article for more info on charges [broken link removed]

I'm not long back from Orlando and I used my credit card for absolutely everything. Most restaurants would ask me how much cash-back I wanted for my tip so I didn't even have to carry cash for that. I'm not sure how we fared on the exchange rate but it's definitely the most convenient method (for me).

you mentioned 5000 dollars - I would not be comfortable travelling with that amount of cash on my person or leaving that amount in a hotel unless it were in the hotel safe. We are charged a fee for using our ATM card in the machines in the US - that is a consideration if you think you might make frequent small withdrawals. I would use a combo of travellers cheque, cash and credit card. I believe I have been able to use my laser in the US but my card use is a bit of a blur.

Bring a small amount of cash with you and use your CC for the rest. Everywhere takes CC over there.. pubs / corner shops / taxis..

As for Laser.. Laser only works in Ireland. BUT if your laser card is also a Maestro / Cirrus card then that can be used to withdraw cash from ATM's in the US. You cannot use it for payment in a shop, only for withdrawing money. Tip.. if you are going to take money out with an ATM then take large amounts out.. dont take 20 here 20 there.. you'll get stung on charges.. Take large 300-400 amounts out.

Just back this morning from New York, trying to stay awake till tonight. I brought cash and found many stores did not want to accept $50 notes even if I was spending say $25. Credit card seems to be the most convenient, especially if you have your card in credit before you go.

I gave up using travellers cheques in the US. I found them very hard to cash. Not every bank will take them. I had one bank refuse me even though they sold them to there own customers.
I had one bank even ask me the stupid question, "have you an account here?". My brother, who had an account there was asked to lodge the cheques into his account and then give me the money. He refused, and asked for the manager who reluctantly went against his own staff's instructions and cashed them for me.