Carrigaline, Cork - Castle Heights V Heronswood

Andy_and_lou

Has anybody bought a house in either of these estates, we are looking at the new phase in Heronswood and have made appointment to see the houses in Castle Heights for next week. What are your opinions on the location of these houses? Does anybody know anything about the layout in Castle Heights, we are interested in a 4 or 3 bed Semi or 3 bed end of Terrace but when I rang the auctioneers they didn't seem too sure of what they comprised off and just said they would send me out a brochure . They did give me the sq footage and the 3 bed end of Terrace seem to be huge in comparison with the 3-4 bed semis. Sorry for asking all these questions but next week seems like such a long time away

Thanks

Re: Carrigaline - Castle Heights V Heronswood

I live in Heronswood. It's a very good location if you are heading towards the city to work. It's also handy for heady to Douglas and it's close enough to the village as well. I'm not very familiar with Castle Heights but I think that's up the Kilmoney side of Carrigaline so you would have to drive through the village. I live in a small 3 bed terraced house and it is fairly small but the 3 bed semi's with the extended kitchens are a very good size.

Have seen both types of houses. Granted the show houses in Castle Heights are nice but they are done up to look nice. Plus I think the external looks hideous in some of them!!! There are 2 auctioneers selling for castleheights, so why don't you try talking to the other one. Personally, i found I&E more helpful when enquiring. Castleheights are usually open on Sundays for public viewing with no appt needed.
Herons Wood location is better if you are travelling to city every morning as it will be a while before the roads will be sorted to other side of Carrigaline. Alternatively, if you are willing to wait, Astra (of Herons Wood) are building more houses in Carrigline (up the hill and turn left @ crossroads). Saw the plans a while back and looks impressive.

Thanks. Had a look at Castleheights plans, Heronswood seem to be much better value and in a better location.

Thanks again

heronswood definitely over castleheights, castleheights way over priced for what ur getting prices at 390K + for 3 bed semi's and i heard from a reputable source that they are not selling, mainly due to cost but location... outside carrigaline and at the wrong side if working in the city and location to shops etc very far, herons wood is close to everything and has a spar so atleast your close to a shop..by the way what is the asking price in heronswood

Im living in Herons Wood and i'm movng up to castleheight. I have a three bed semi with attic conversion and i am moving to a 4 bed end of terrace. The sheer calibre of the houses in castle heights is hard to beat. If you're looking for space and comfort, catle heights is the place to go.
Dont worry about traffic throught the village - the first of two relief roads has been built - you wont have to go anywhere near the village if you dont want to.
If you're set on herons Wood - I'll sell my house to you next year!

Dont worry about traffic throught the village - the first of two relief roads has been built - you wont have to go anywhere near the village if you dont want to.

Traffic in Carrigaline is horrendous. With new developments happening at either ends of the town, things will get even worse.

Traffic in Carrigaline is horrendous. With new developments happening at either ends of the town, things will get even worse.
With two relief roads and a new town been built, traffic wont be what it is today. The relief roads bypass the town.

I've never understood the attraction of Heronswood at all - yes there is a Spar shop now (and a lovely one, with very friendly staff) but the estate was there for a good few years before it was opened - only about 4 months ago. Before that the nearest shops were the two petrol stations on Cork road!
I have lived on the Castelands side of Carrigaline for over 3 years, working in the city - The traffic is getting worse alright, but as purplealien says, by using the relief road you can avoid it.

Am living on the Upper Kilmoney Road and Castleheights are being built just beyond my back garden.

Traffic is about as bad as any of the other suburbs. If you use the relief road (which is a disaster because of the roadworks at the moment) you can completely bypass the village. The other bypass is due to be built on the Ballygarvan side of the Carrigaline Court Hotel and will link up to Kilmoney somewhere. Not sure when that will be completed.

I find that traffic is worse coming into Carrigaline in the mornings and out again in the evenings than the other way around (as far as Shannonpark anyway). While traffic is slow it is always moving.

Choosing to live in Heron's Wood will save you a few minutes every morning and evening. We looked at houses there and in the end went for the other side of town and have no regrets. Using the relief road we make it from home to the roundabout outside Heron's Wood in under 5 minutes every morning.

For quality of house, castleheights is the way to go. Im going for the 4 bed end of tce. It's 1800 sq ft. €450,000. For that price, i'd only get a 4 bed semi with 1,300 sq ft in Herons Wood. Plus the house in Herons Wood wouldnt have underground heating, vacum system, kitchen with granite worktop and very spacious rooms. It's a no brainer. 3 minutes up the road is nothing when you think of how far people in Dublin and London have to commute.

TBH, I wasn't very impressed with the layout in Castleheight, the rooms in the living space seem to be very oddly shaped, no sense to them. Also the sq footage seems to be alot but that's because most of them have rooms in the attic. Also in most of them there is only 2 rooms on the ground floor, kitchen/dining and living room, no utility, seperate family room. I'd more interested in the living space rather than the bedrooms and I'm not into having a master bedroom in the attic I would prefer to be on the same floor as the kids. The house we are looking at in Heronswood, is a 3 bed, good sized/shaped living room, seperate Family room, Kitchen/diner, Utility and WC. That's just my opinion now after comparing the 2. BTW thanks for all the comments!

There's a rumour going around that the construction company involved with Castle Heights is going to go belly up.

[broken link removed]

I heard that rumour in Carrigaline at the weekend. Can't see it being true. Don't think things are that bad yet.

There is a photo of a castlelands house (7th from the end)

[broken link removed]

Hi All,
is anybody there that gave the deposit for Castle Heights Carrigaline and decided to don't go ahead because of rumors of financial problems for Castlands constructions ?
Thanks Sandra

There's something suspicious about this development.

On the daft entry for this development, it states that prices begin at €345,000. See here.

But yet, there is another entry on daft that offer two houses (to be finished this Summer) on the same estate at €315,000 each. See here.

If prices for phase 1 of this development started at €345,000, why the dickens would someone try to sell two houses for less than what they're worth?