Carriers and Lufthansa

New Home

Hi there,

I'll be travelling with Lufthansa in a little over a week and I'll have to bring my cat with me. He'll be travelling in the hold because the maximum size allowed in the cabin for a crate is 55cm x 40 cm x 20 cm (an A4 page is over 21cm wide...) and although he's not a giant my cat is not the size of a hamster either.

I've been trying to find out if the pet carrier I currently have is acceptable once I add an absorbent pad and a water bowl (see [broken link removed] - I've also "knitted" some chicken wire to the door to make the holes in the door paw-proof), but neither Lufthansa nor IATA have replied to my questions. The Lufthansa website says that they usually lend "pet boxes" to passengers, but that these boxes aren't available in the UK and Irish airports, I asked them to send me a picture of these boxes or to please let me know the brand and model, but no joy. The IATA website says that they do not endorse/recommend any model or brand, and that carriers similar to the one shown on their drawings is also ok, so I'm a bit at a loss as to what will be acceptable.

Has anyone travelled recently with a pet on that airline? Is my carrier OK? If not, where can I buy an acceptable pet box?

Thank you.

(I had originally posted this on "Misc. Non-Financial Questions" but it seems to have been the wrong forum, so I posted it again here - I hope this is the right location, if not please let me know and I'll move it)

Thanks Petermack.

My flight is next Monday, do you know where I can buy one of those crates in Ireland?

Thanks.

My wife bought a dog cage in our local petshop which is Maxi Zoo in Naas. There seems to be a chain of them around the country. I have no idea of the cost of these cages though.
http://www.maxizoo.ie

Back