Carrauntoohill Routes

Westy29

Hi

Im planning a trip on saturday. I've been up a few times before but not for a few years. We are planning to go up O sheas Gully and down the Heavenly gates.

Has anyone used this route recently? Any advice? The few times ive descended through the heavenly gates I've found it difficult to find the path.

Also is the Devils Ladder still 'dogdy'

Thanks

Would advise going up O' Sheas gully in good weather and possibly the devils ladder on the way down.

Kerry mountain rescue are advising not to use the devils ladder as it is too shaley/ full of scree and lose rocks. They're now advising taking a route up to the left of the devils ladder. ( can't think of the name.)

They devils ladder is not an enjoyable route , Brother o'sheas gully is good, Can get windy at the top of the gully on the saddle. You will see Ireland highest lake on this route. If taking O'Sheas gully you will have to do a small amout of rock climbing.scrambling i.e. using your hands to help you up rock steps and at the top of the gully as you approach the summit to Carrauntoohill.

Bring waterproof boots and gaiters if possible. Plenty of water and some food. Should take 3.5/ 4 hours hours to get up to the summit and half that on the way down.

Enjoy & don't go alone.

Back