Carpets fitting - unsure about results

albob

Hi,
I got carpets fitted yesterday and am slightly disappointed with the results. Firstly, I put carpet with underlay on stairs and main bedroom. Around the edges by the wall the carpet is somewhat loose i.e. it bulges slightly and can be pushed down by 2-3mm. I was expecting it to be pulled very tight. What is normal?

Secondly in the bedroom we put a cream loop pile carpet (I know putting cream down is a risk) . Anyway, in the sample in the shop (a 2ft sq sample) the carpet was plain cream. However what has been put down has black loops every now and again. On close examination is looks like they were small pieces of wool that got into the cream wool during manufacture. I assume it was intensional on the carpet makes part. Anyway these black specs just look like pieces of fluff and make the carpet look dirty (In fact when first hoovering the carpet I thought they were fluff and was cursing the hoovers suction power!) These specs are not subtle enough or regular enough to look like part of the carpet design. Do I have any comeback. Going to call into shop tomorrow to complain but just want your thoughts first.
Thanks

the bulging should settle... mined bulged alot more than that and now they are fine.

if you couldn't see the black in the shop then complain!

As somebody who just paid a lot for a lot of carpet this morning, I only too well know the pitfalls.

However, I went with somebody highly recommended, local and took cash.

80/20 wool. This guy has been in business over 3 generations in the carpet and flooring business so knew his stuff.

He told me that wool(which I bought 80/20 of) is never exact. Mostly wool is recycled wool and the sample in the shop is likely never to match the carpet you get. Luckily he had enough of the carpet I wanted in stock.

Your carpet seller should tell you if the carpet will be different in any way. You should have kept something of retention before putting the carpet down. Sometimes, this is difficult.

Under the sale of goods and services act you are entitled to the item you contracted to buy. If you do not receive this item, then get on the dog and bone and get the stuff changed.

They may not like it but thats the law. Still, could you live with the black loops? Yes, then get him to give you money back, otherwise he will just take back the carpet and unless somebody with the same room dimensions comes in, hes stuffed with a useless carpet.

when i got my carpet fitted i was told not to hoover for a week as this could cause bulging...i seee you hoovered same/next day?

the glue needs time to set