Carpeting Bedrooms

THENORTHSIDE

am thinking of putting carpet in my bedrooms.I have 3 young children would I be creating problems for them regarding dust/asthma or do peopl;e find carpet in bedrooms ok.

We put down wood-effect lino in the last bedroom we did up. We have 3 kids and are very happy with it. Easy to clean and if kid does vomit can clean it up and wash floor with disinfectant. Also we have a 30 year old house and the amount of dust under old carpets is horrible. I would much rather laminate/semi solid wood floors or lino in a bedroom, especially one for kids.

Whilst they might be warmer under the feet they are dust gatherers. Laminate for durability and value is probably the best route with possibly rugs where they step out of bed.

Well, if any of your children develops asthma (which is very common now) you will probably be advised to take the carpet up again. As someone else said, they are dust gatherers. We still have a few carpeted rooms in our house but any of our makeovers include laying a wood (or laminate) floor. I personally would never put carpet down again.

There is no point in putting carpet in kids bedrooms because it gets destroyed with dirt, Also you have to pick up all the toys etc everytime you want to vacuum it. Cheap laminate with a few rugs. On the asthma front, I have asthma and carpet in my own bedroom, once its kept hoovered I have no problem with it, wooden floors tend to create static which seems to attract dust. Other asthmatics may have different sensitivities. Don't avoid carpet on the basis that it will give your kids asthma, it wont.

I have to agree with the above posters. I recently moved house and after seeing the amount of dust the carpets collected in bedrooms after the last house we decided to put down wood floors in the two main bedrooms. They are much easier to keep clean.

We moved into a new build last year. Got 3 of the bedrooms upstairs sanded and varnished. Have to say they look great and were a fraction of the cost of carpet.

I have varnished floorboards upstairs but when any one walks across them its like a scene out of riverdance and I think the rooms are colder with the wood flooring.so I need to weigh up all the pros and cons thanks

I have varnished floorboards upstairs but when any one walks across them its like a scene out of riverdance and I think the rooms are colder with the wood flooring.so I need to weigh up all the pros and cons thanks

We have the same problem (not got hollow core floor) sounds like small herd of elephants walking on the floorboards upstairs.
Was considering carpet and underlay to keep the noise down as much as anything else, unless anyone has good suggestion to keep wooden floors and reduce noise

We moved into an old house a few years ago and took out all the carpets - they were mouldy.

We varnished the hall, stairs (kitchen already varnished) and waxed upstairs and the living / dining rooms downstairs. We used a "eco" bee wax from Auro paints (I've no connection with the company). It was a little tricky to use and I think it needs touching up at this stage. However, we dont have the cold feeling you get with varnish - handy for bedrooms, etc.

Also, a handy tip to stop noise on wooden floors upstairs (and to keep your floors cleaner, whatever the surface) is to ban outdoor shoes inside the house. More hygienic IMHO.

Back