Carol Singers

JP1234

Does anyone actually give money to these anymore? Apart from the ones who literally stood in our path while we were carrying in the shopping last night until I told them to move, ( would have been more verbal if they didn't have a young child with them) we just had a couple of teens ( around 13/14 yrs old I guess) banging on the door. I wasn't going to answer until one of them started peering in the sitting room window, before I even had the door fully open and before any singing started he was holding out a box for me to pay him.

I don't mind groups of good singers round the shopping areas as they do add to the atmosphere and there's no pressure to give them money but out of tune teenagers or small children being dragged round by adults is just a no-no for me.

Or am I just a miserable bugger as I have been called in the past?;)

I give to the good ones - some are fab and for a "real" charity.

Thanks for the reminder about singers coming to the door too ;).

It’s not as bad as the trick or treat at Halloween, at least there is no threat for not paying

Work colleague passed a group in Dublin who were caroling and rattling a few tins - didn't recognise the name of the institution and we can't find it on google....hmmm!

Work colleague passed a group in Dublin who were caroling and rattling a few tins - didn't recognise the name of the institution and we can't find it on google....hmmm!
Maybe they were collecting for the banks. Was it NAMA by any chance?

Do carol singers come to doors often here? I have never once experienced this and always thought of it more as an English thing really.

Well for the last 30+ years we've always had carol singers round my parents house. As far as I remember they are usually collecting for good causes like the V de P or Trocaire. I'd have no issue giving them a few bob. Likewise the bin men and their 'Christmas Box'. A really crappy job done with a smile in all weathers all year round by a really good bunch of guys. Respect.

Back