Carers leave

watson2011

Hi
My mum has been diagnosed with cancer and she usually baby sits for me while I work.
As a result of her diagnosis and with the current crisis I gave up work to mind my child plus I intend to care for my mum once she has her op and starts her treatment.
My query is can I apply for carer's benefit if my employer has told revenue that I finished work?
Is there any other options for me? I have savings so I can manage on them for a while as I have no idea how social welfare works.
Thanks

Last edited:
You can apply for carer’s allowance but the person you are caring for has to over the age of 16 and so incapacitated as to require full-time care and attention - see citizens information website. You could also have applied for carer’s leave from your employer, you wouldn’t get paid but your job would be kept open for you - I don’t think Revenue are involved in this decision.

Sorry I meant carers benefit. My mistake. My mam will obviously be requiring surgery and then treatment which she will have to be driven too as she won't stay in the hospital for it. Do you think this will qualify for carer's benefit or allowance?

When did you give up your work and did you claim the COVID19 payment? What is there in writing between you and your employer about the circumstances under which you ceased work? Carer's benefit is not means tested. You do have to be minding your mother not your child, and you do need proof of your mother's condition (doctors' letters etc.). It takes a long time to go through. It lasts for two years, after that if you are still needed to care you have to move to carer's allowance.

Finished work Friday. Work has ended my employment with an option to return if the future permits. Didn't claim covid. I will be minding my mum. I'm an only daughter who resides at home with her and my dad (in his mid 70s with serious heart issues) and another brother (brother works full time).
I have worked all my life with exception of having my child so I have no idea of social welfare.

Hi too claim Carers Benifit you will need your Mam to be accessed and a form completed by her Gp. This might take a while at the moment once you send of the forms it can take around 3 months for a decision if successful your payment is backdated to date you applied. Your mam's gp would hopefully be able to give you an indication if your application has merit. The rate is 220 weekly but if your two parents need care this payment is increased. As Carers benefit takes a while to process you made need to apply for Covid 19 payment if appropriate in meantime.

Carer's benefit requires cooperation with your employer. Talk to them first then get help eg from citizens advice.

Hi too claim Carers Benifit you will need your Mam to be accessed and a form completed by her Gp. This might take a while at the moment once you send of the forms it can take around 3 months for a decision if successful your payment is backdated to date you applied. Your mam's gp would hopefully be able to give you an indication if your application has merit. The rate is 220 weekly but if your two parents need care this payment is increased. As Carers benefit takes a while to process you made need to apply for Covid 19 payment if appropriate in meantime.
Thank u for your reply... My dad is mid 70s with heart issues but is fairly active... I don't think he would qualify for carer's too?

You'd be surprised who would qualify! I would definitely put in for it, it will be turned down more than likely then you appeal, seems to be the standard route.

Back