Cardboard Boxes

Tony

Hi,

I was looking at sourcing some cardboard boxes for a online retail business that I am starting up. I have contacted a few companies and I am looking for 400mm X 300mm X 300MM and they have to sell me huge quantities of these to give me a price below €1. I am only looking for about 100 boxes max as I am starting out and would not have the funds for anything more than that. Does anyone have any ideas of where I might be able to pick these up, I want it to look professional so i dont want to use second hand boxes, etc....)

Also the courier I am using is charging €7.80 + Vat for deliveries, I am going to sub this and charge €7.20 as I cannot go any lower but think a higher price may scare people off, what do people think of this price. I will mainly be selling gadgets/gifts (average €30-€40 i would think).

Regards
Tony

I think if you can't afford to buy in bulk you have to pay more for your boxes. Unless your supplier will give you a deal based on a promise of future business when you expand. I also think you're making a mistake subsidising the delivery cost. Can you not get a better price from the courier? I don't think your customers will fall out with you over the difference.

PS Are you registered for VAT? It has a bearing on whether you can recoup the VAT paid to your suppliers. But of course you'd have to charge your customers.

Thanks for the replies, I think if i start charging €7.80 + Vat for delivery it is a bit steep and might turn people away from me €7.20 is my bottom line though, what do you think about the difference between these costs would it turn you off? Also i am not registered for VAT so I would also be hit for the VAT.

Your delivery will cost you 8.75 if you are not registered for vat.
I think most people are aware that mail order goods cost money for delivery. I would expect you are better to publicise your price as being bottom line and delivery charges are extra "depending on your location". Then customers are less likely to think that you have a high margin built into the product and will see the product and cost of delivery as two separate items.
Depending on your market and proximity to that market it may be worth your while to do the initial deliveries yourself. Block the areas together like a courier would do and do evening deliveries. If you have 20 orders to deliver in Dublin, 2-3 hours in an evening could save you considerable costs, would be paying your courier €189.54 to do this alone.

I've found postpack.co.uk to be very good value. You get volume discounts which on top of the sterling advantage works out quite cheaply. Their delivery cost is only £16. You don't have to buy that much to get this cost back.

Thanks for all the replies guys I think I will be cheaper than any of the competition for shipping but hope that people dont see the €8.75 as excessive. Even when I was looking at charging €7.20 my products were still priced really well and much cheaper than what the competition are charging but I guess if i continue like this i would not remain in business for much longer.

I have checked out the links also and they are perfect I might order a sample first to see how they look.

Watch this space for a special askaboutmoney discount when i finally go live.

Thanks again

Have a look at as there are threads on the subjects of couriers and packaging, you might find some useful info.

Hi Tony

pm me with your details and I'll contact you.

I have a few hundred 400 x 340 x 300 boxes coming in next week for my online store. Double wall corrugated about 1.10 each.

also have excess single wall boxes about same size.

just hope you're not competing with me!!