Card Reader Problems - need advice or instructions for use

johnny2shoes

Could somebody please post a step by step guide to using a bank CARD READER. to help a dummy pensioner.
I have both AIB and Ulster Bank reader cards but cannot contact either outfit by phone.
Press 1 for this and 2 for that................what has this world come to, when these huge businesses won't even talk to their customers?
Both cards ask us to press the FINCTION button when card is inserted, but there is NO function heading on either.
I did say DUMMY so please excuse

I think the 'function' refers to what you're doing. For AIB it's normally Sign (blue button with a white check mark).
That's what I normally use when verifying a transaction.

I moved away from online banking years ago. Those card readers are a dose. A big step backward.
Do you have a smartphone? The apps are a breeze.

I think the 'function' refers to what you're doing. For AIB it's normally Sign (blue button with a white check mark).
That's what I normally use when verifying a transaction.
Thank you so much. I still need a step by step help as Im stuck when it gives me an 8 digit code. Yes Drakon I have the AIB app on smartfone. Tell me more please

What is it that you're using it for? If completing an online transaction on the aob website, it normally gives you the steps. At the end you enter the 8 digit code on the website to verify the transaction

You only need the code card reader for adding payee accounts and making large payments usually. Just need your 8 digit registration code and PAC (passcode) to access online banking. Can you access online banking ok?

Drakon...............many many thanks and also 'lostthe plot' and' luckystar' . I'm not as nimble as I was once and the website logs me out
by the time I figure out what they are looking for. Thanks anyway lads or lassies?
Drakon solved my problem and the app was indeed a breeze apart from another dummy mistake by yours truly when he took a written note of
the IBAN and the numbers ran past the page end so last 4 digits got underneath the main number. Naturally the system wouldn't allow me CONTINUE ( It was GREY) untill thankfully I spotted my stupidity. I'm only telling you lot this so you can smile or even laugh at how us crinklies
are so far behind in cyber space.
Thanks also to 'askaboutmoney' as Google didn't help me or even Youtube which I normally find better than good.

I've posted before about the barriers people face with our modern day systems; and got a range of responses.

The nadir in my view was one complaining about older people and their sense of 'entitlement', I was none too impressed with that one.

Anyway, my post is to say thank you to the OP for proving my point.

You are entitled to have systems that work for you and not against you.

Glad you got sorted.

The card reader is annoying. I went to transfer money this morning and spent 20 minutes looking for it (the card reader, not the money). Then you worry about the battery lasting in it. The screen can be difficult to see in some lighting too.
Apart from the card reader, I think AIBs setup isn't too bad for day to day stuff.

Thank you Thirsty. You are oh so right.
This is a true story. I have a brother in his eighties who just about learned to drive a car way back in the fifties when Morris Minors
were regarded then as highly as Mercs are now. Austin Devons, Baby Fords and Morris Oxfords were just about affordable in country Ireland
and indicators were called 'willie winkies' and sprang out sideways from the pillar between front and rear of the car.
Our man eventually got the hang of gears and accelerator and may even have occasionally looked in the rear view mirror.
To this day ( he's still driving) he can't get his head around ROUNDABOUTS. Can't see the logic in yielding to traffic on any side and
thinks all roads should be straight. Don't mention parking to him as he just abandons the car on his rare visits to town.
Young people today would probably see my problem with reader cards in a similar vein to 'the brudder's vision of the Road Traffic Acts.
In conclusion, a very grateful crinklie thinks that anybody holding his hard earned without interest should at least answer the feckin phone
and talk to him.

Last edited:
Could somebody please post a step by step guide to using a bank CARD READER. to help a dummy pensioner.
I have both AIB and Ulster Bank reader cards but cannot contact either outfit by phone.
Press 1 for this and 2 for that................what has this world come to, when these huge businesses won't even talk to their customers?
Both cards ask us to press the FINCTION button when card is inserted, but there is NO function heading on either.
I did say DUMMY so please excuse
I have had to contact AIB re card reader issues a number of times, i never had an issue speaking to someone, found them very helpful as well.

I found i used it so infrequently,(As one can do most things on the app) the battery ran out in one, and I lost another one. Got replacements quickly and easily with a phone call. I’d recomend picking up a spare battery or two, and keep it safe, with the reader.

Back