card processing online

geordief

anyone have experience with this ? (I am looking into Sagepay =sagepay DOT com)
If you have a merchant account with one of the main banks can use still use it with ,say Sagepay?
Will Aib charge you for the use of the merchant account if you don't use their terminal etc?
Would the online services be more flexible regarding setting up and closing the account -ie could you pay by month?
Could you use the online service for customers who are physically present and not just on the phone or at the end of an email?

Hi,
You will need to get an online merchant number from the bank you use at the moment to process payments.
I have just signed up with sagepay at the moment if you want to PM me
d

well we have with them (AIB) forever but because the direct debit to pay for the use of their terminal "bounced" once they want their terminal back.I am a bit wary of approaching them for information until I make up my mind what to do.
Are they likely to have cancelled the merchant account so that we will need to apply again?-after we have been with them over 30 years.

And if we did keep their merchant account would it amount to paying both AIB and Sagepay one for the right to have the merchant account and the other for the actual transactions? (I enquired to Sagepay about that 2 days ago but no reply yet).
We used to have the old manual card processor but they made us use the electronic terminal about 2 years ago and as I said they seem to want it back because the direct debit bounced.
It seeems quite pricey anyway as there is a kind of monthly cover charge (minimum transaction) and we are very seasonal.
Whatever is available we probably need the very most basic of what is on offer-just to offer the credit card service to the public and ideally only to be charged for what we actually process and during the months of the year that we need it as well...

anyone have experience with this ? (I am looking into Sagepay =sagepay DOT com)
If you have a merchant account with one of the main banks can use still use it with ,say Sagepay?
Yes you will need an internet merchant account to use Sagepay. They work with AIB-MS, Elavon and Ulster Bank in Ireland.

Will Aib charge you for the use of the merchant account if you don't use their terminal etc?
You will pay a setup fee for the Internet Merchant Account and then a percentage of each transaction amount. This will be subject to a monthly minimum typically around €30. So you can expect to be paying €30 per month.

Would the online services be more flexible regarding setting up and closing the account -ie could you pay by month?
With a merchant services agreement you will pay a setup fee and then a monthly minimum - I do not believe you would be able to close the account for a few months. Best thing to do is contact them and find out. Similarly with SagePay I do not have the details but I expect when you sign up for their €25 a month package you are committing to at least 12 months.

Could you use the online service for customers who are physically present and not just on the phone or at the end of an email?
I am not sure about the first part of your question best to check with your bank to find out exactly what your merchant service agreement allows you to do. You should not be taking credit card details via email, email is not a secure method of communication.

Thanks,
Dave

If you only want to be charged when you actually process a transaction then you should consider using a [broken link removed] such as PayPal as opposed to a [broken link removed] like SagePay. Their fee's are higher but if you are doing a very small amount of transactions then it may be best for you. The PayPal prices are publicly available so you should be able to do the maths and figure out what it would cost with PayPal. Then you can compare this to the costs of a merchant service agreement and SagePay. Then you can go with the option that best suits your needs.

Thanks,
Dave

Dear geordief: Tom Richards from Sage Pay here. And just now read that you haven't been contacted by us! I'm truly sorry about that, and it means that for some reason we never received an inquiry from you. If you'd care to, you can ring me: 01 801 1400. If I'm not here Colette is here. Again, my profuse apologies. We have an ongoing policy of contacting prospective Sage Pay customers INSTANTLY! Do visit Sage Pay Ireland for more information too. My best, Tom