Card Fraud

Tiberius

I've been unlucky enough to have had some fraudulent transactions hit my account over the last week. It would appear that my ATM card was skimmed at some point, probably at an ATM. The transactions appeared on my account as CIRRUS ATM transactions. Thankfully I spotted it early and cancelled the card. I shouldn't be left out of pocket but it might be a week or two before my fraud claim to my bank is settled.

Advice is to keep a regular eye on your bank account particularly looking out for any transactions you can't explain. Always shield your PIN when entering it at ATM and POS devices.

Trouble is, we only get a statement once a month, by which time it could be too late

Can you not go online banking? I find it great - quick daily check on accounts no matter where in the world I am. There's Internet Access everywhere if you don't have local access - libraries (here and abroad), cafe's etc... Worth the effort of going online with your bank, methinks!

It doesn't matter where I use my card, I cover the keypad with myfree hand. I have never been scammed. I also check my accounts online daily.

It doesn't matter where I use my card, I cover the keypad with myfree hand. I have never been scammed. I also check my accounts online daily.

Good advice.. always cover pin and check online or over phone frequently.
Keeping uptodate Antivirus on your PC is essential if using online banking also. Would never recommend using online banking from a public computer like in an Internet Cafe or Library. These are likely to be infested with various malicious software and could compromise your accounts.

I use my on line banking as little as possible after I got a virus that intercepted my on line banking, it pulled up a page identical to the banks log in page, except it had an extra box for all the memorial data numbers instead of asking for 3 number of 10.
I got as far as entering my account number and password, but telephoned the bank about the third box for memorial data which I did not enter, and was told it was a virus. This was despite keeping my anti-virus up to date. Scary stuff and very clever.

Back