Car Tyres

Johnboy45

Anybody got any suggestions on car tyres, I currently have Firestone 205/55 R16 V rating on a 2002 Renault Laguna, but the front tyres are worn in 12 months and 13000 miles, I am not a mad driver and would generally stick to the speed limits.

I had a similar issue with tyres when I bought my Yaris in 2006. Car went in for its 1st service at 15000km for me to be told that I only had 2mm left on each of the front tyres. I went ballistic!!They were Dunlop Hydro something - turns out that tyres are made a lot softer these days, better grip apparently....but not longevity! Toyota dealer changed the front 2 FOC for Goodyear - made by Dunlop too -car has just been in for its 30000km service and front 2 are perfect 5mm on each.

A lot of the problem is the state of the roads but I've found Goodyear to be great so far, used Continental in the past and got good mileage out of them. Hope this helps.

I got a set of bridgestones ( 205/60 R16 ) in Donnollys in Blackrock @ E120 each fitted, balanced etc, which I thought was a good price

I thought that 5mm was min legal requirment!?

as an aside ever thought of ordering the tyres from the UK - pm me if you want the site address - my cuz has used them a few times with great results and saves approx 40% on cost (high performance tyres on impreza) - am going to order some next week myself.

Why don't you try out tyretest.com. [no affiliation]

They give ratings on tyres for comfort, noise, longevisty, grip etc

It will always be a trade off but you get what you need. Plus you can't believe marketing hype about tyres either!

got 46,000 miles on my last corolla out of the original michelins. changed because it was october and wet roads etc as they were in the 'just legal' bracket. replaced with firestone and they had 15,000 miles when I traded and were wearing better than I expected ) yaris now with 15,000 kms and the tyres are as new. found McManus tyres (coes road dundalk) the cheapest at the time and think the may have a depot in drogheda now.

I have 205/55/16 on my car at the moment and I use Toyo T1-R's I got from eiretyres.com

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Car Tyres review here.

Note: Car Tyres may have a vested interest in recommending some brands, so read with caution.