Car tax via email now

dodo

I received email stating : MAY 2013.
If you have recently taxed this vehicle, please ignore this notice.
The pin for online renewal on the Motor Tax Website is xxxxxx
Normally when I receive this by post it states that I have to renew by end of June, tax disk states May 13 which always means I have to last day of June, is this still the casethanks

Normally when I receive this by post it states that I have to renew by end of June, tax disk states May 13 which always means I have to last day of June, is this still the casethanks
Some confusion here. If your Motor Tax expires on the last day of May 13, then your new Motor Tax is due 01 June 13.

If you read the old renewal letter again it states that you can use the form to renew your Motor Tax up to the last day of June 13. If you allow this date to pass, then you must either pay an arrears penalty and pay tax from 01 June 13 or declare the car off-road if in fact it was off the road..

There is o grace period.

If tax end date is 31st May you have until end of June to apply for tax. However, the tax disc will still state that your tax period will still begin 1st day of June.
There's no benefit in applying for tax in month of June as opposed to May other than you have a few extra weeks grace.
Bear in mind however that if you don't tax before end of June you are then liable for arrears.

You run the risk of prosecution by doing that. Legally speaking the tax must be paid for before the 1st of the month.

I understand that this email may be a scam - my dad got it, and he's never done his car tax online. Once he clicked on it, he had a trojan virus....coincidence?

I understand that this email may be a scam - my dad got it, and he's never done his car tax online. Once he clicked on it, he had a trojan virus....coincidence?

I renewed car tax for two cars on-line recently following on from e-mail reminder. I was already aware that they were due for renewal on 1st May. No virus problem since.

motortax.ie have been taking a note of e-mail addresses for some time now and confirmed that they could be using same at some stage.

He may have been caught with a mail that looked like the official one, but the official ones are fine.

What link did he click on? Did the url highlighted in the status bar match what he was expecting?

To get a trojan, you need to install software on your computer. Most modern systems will seek your explicit permission to do so. So this should be a clear warning sign.

Back