Car Tax in Northern ireland

sabrina

Puzzled by this... i recently bought a car in Northern Ireland and i was told by someone that i must tax the car even if its not going to be driven for 2 months? Does anyone know if this is correct? I always thought if car was off the road that you didnt have to tax it!!!

you must notify the tax authorities that your car is off the road, you should have signed a change of ownership form from the seller as he has to send this form to the car tax office stateing you have purchased the vehicle

I bought it off a garage. I dont intend to use it til february coz cant afford insurance til then. Then i am moving back down to southern ireland. Does anyone know what paperwork is needed to make this transition!

S.O.R.N. I think. A fine if you don't do it properly too.

Contact the people who sold it to you.

as you are bringing it down here, you can apply for an export cert which would remove it from the ni register

Would i not be hit with VAT if i claim for export cert now. I am waiting til february coz it has to have a certain amount of miles on it and be 6mths old before you can escape the VAT. We only pay the VRT when we bring it down!