Car tax for new vehicle

alexandra123

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if this is any discretion on when car tax for a new vehicle starts. This is only concerning when the registration date is near the end of the month ?

Example - if you purchase a car on the 27th of the month - is it possible to tax the car from the 1st day of the following month ?

If you try it online - it only starts from the 1st day of the current month that the car was registered.

I cannot see anything online, but I heard it was possible.

Thanks in advance

No, there is no leeway on this, the only thing to do is complete the purchase at the start of the month.

Just to give an update on this. I went into the tax office.

If you car is registered 6-7 days before the end of the current month - if you go into the tax office they will tax the car at the start of the next month.

If you do it on line - the car will be registered from the start of the current month of the registration date

but are you then driving without tax for that 6 or 7 days and therefore liable to fined if caught?

^^^^^^
Surely just say you bought the car and you were issued a disc starting next month.

Though if affording a brand new car I woudlve thought the 80 quid for the tax in the first month would be small change :D

Back