car sickness

manukev

my 5 year old daughter suffers badly from travel sickness and we have tried a number of things to try and help but the only thing that works are "sea leg" tablets which are ok for longer journeys but she cant even do a 10 mile trip and if we give her even a small bit of a tablet it starts to make her tired and very contrary if she doesnt get a bit of a nap.any ideas greatly appreciated

Have you tried ginger biscuits? They can work for nausea.

This might help [broken link removed]

Last edited:
Make sure she is sitting in the center of the back seat, so that she is looking on the front window. The problem with seating at the passenger doors at the back, is that she will be looking out the side window. This will mean that the 'scenery' seems to pass at a much faster pace and it upsets the sense of balance, hence the sickness.

No idea why this works, and it might just be an old wifes tail, but sitting on newspaper seems to help!

she actually lives on gingernut biscuits maybe she would be worse without them.the only problem with sitting in the middle of the seat is the booster seat doesnt sit properly as the car seat is raised that bit more than the sides.thanks

I used to get extremely car sick, to the point of getting sick on the front lawn before I got into the car at all! I think some of it was psycological but I used to read all the time in the car which definitely made it worse. As I got older I stopped getting sick - the nauseous feeling didn't pass though until I was old enough to sit in the front seat. Now, if I read anything, even on a short journey, I'll feel nauseous.

I think it has to do with focussing your eyes on something which isn't moving. I know that would be difficult to explain to a 5 year old though.

I get the same thing with reading etc. I kid you not but, what makes it worse for me is bouncy cars with soft suspension. Older Golfs, Vento's were especially bad for me. Cars with a stiffer suspension that don't roll as much, were much better. I also am better when I'm driving, and looking out the window. Bit of air works wonders too. Erratic driving also triggers it. Much better with smoother drivers.

I think its when your body is moving, but you eyes don't see it, when you are reading a book insteading of looking out the window etc. Your brain can reconcile whats happening. Saw a program once showing how they tune rollercosters and simulators to stop people getting the problem. Sinus problems can have similar effects, in my experience. As they mess with your inbuilt sense of balance/motion.

Its a miserable feelng though.

We find kids are less bored when sitting in the middle too.

Like Caff said, the travel wrist bands (can get in boots) are great. They press down on your pressure points and work very well.

You can also use them for morning sickness.

there cheap enough.

If you don't have a front air bag you can actually let your dd sit in the front seat with the appropriate booster seat etc. This may help.

Back