Car Servicing

jmd

My son took his car for a service in the garage where he recently purchased it. Having serviced my own car for more years than I care to remember, my curiosity prompted me to take a look at the air filter, on this "recently serviced" car. I discovered that the air filter was not a proper fit for his particular car, but a cut down version of a filter for a totally different machine. It was bonded on three sides & hacked down on the other side - so as to make it fit in the filter housing. I then asked myself- if this garage had fitted a sub-standard air filter. Why would they renew the oil-filter, or fuel-filter either? So having got myself two new filters I drained off the oil sump, removed the oil filter to find that the garage had not disappointed me. The oil filter was aged and dirty bearing all the signs of a filter that was well past its useful life span. Same with the fuel filter. (Diesel Car).In fairness to the decent people who run good quality garages let me say that was not a main dealer, neither was it run by one of the many local guys, in so many towns & villages around the country, who meet you wearing overalls, and greasy hands- so many of whom run one man shows and do a fantastic and honest job.

Good warning, unfortunately car servicing is for many people a 'black art' that they cannot fathom or check and must take the word of the garage. In my honest opinion the above happens all too often.

I've been recommending for years that friends and family do a basic evening 'car servicing' course. Even if you don't bother yourself in the long run it's utterly invaluable in being able to talk the talk with garage staff and ensure that what is being quoted is (a)needed and (b) done correctly.

To Eurofan. That;s good advice. What better time of year to recommend friends & family to do such a course. October is the month when all the VEC colleges are starting such courses. Or indeed I always tell people to buy a Haynes Manual specific to their car. No great knowledge is required to do basic servicing such as oil changes etc.