Car servicing prices

Hi Leo,

The Consumer Association wants consumers to make educated decisions on buy a product or service. If one buys cheap - 'you get what you pay for' as it is often poor value.

cheers

There are plenty of good mechanic operating independently out there. If you are concerned about parts you can get the parts for them in a main dealership. Personally I think thats nonsence. There are some rubbish parts out there but I know that companies such as GSF dont want the headache of parts been returned and are conscience of this when buying in parts. Others also.
I am always amazed how often in main dealerships, cars are been serviced by some 16 year old apprentice with some manager throwing his eye on it now and again. I would feel more comfortable knowing a mechanic with something to lose (i.e. the return of your custom) is taking care of my car, than buying a brand stamp, which cost more.

Does anyone know a good place to get a car serviced that also can repair a car's electrics? I get my car serviced in a "tyre place" and I'm delighted with the work that they do. They freely admit that they are not electrical engineers. My sister's Golf has developed an odd problem - The windscreen wipers won't work unless the car is in gear and moving (and a warning light saying "bonnet open" is illuminated even though the bonnet's definitely not open). Obviously I can't send her where I go so would anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers.

The Consumer Association wants consumers to make educated decisions on buy a product or service. If one buys cheap - 'you get what you pay for' as it is often poor value.

The same applies when paying the overpriced rates some main dealers charge, very bad value! If you pay too much, you never get what you pay for.

You need to go to an auto electrician. Theres loads in the phone book.

You could be in Dublin or Cork so no point suggesting somewhere that maybe no where near you.

Unfortunately my experience of main dealers over the years is you don't get what you pay for. So if you don't want to hear complaints, don't stay in a main dealer.

You need to go to an auto electrician. Theres loads in the phone book.

You could be in Dublin or Cork so no point suggesting somewhere that maybe no where near you.

Thank you for that utterly useless post.

I was actually looking for a recommendation (and I live in Dublin).

Thank you for that utterly useless post.

I was actually looking for a recommendation (and I live in Dublin).

With respect, the question was utterly useless.

How can someone give you a recommendation if you didn't say where you were? You've done it again, by just saying Dublin. You're hardly likely to head out to someone in D.15 if you are in Blackrock. So I'll give you a place in the center.

http://www.hamiltonautoelectric.com/

I am always conscious of what oil has been put in to the engine, When I asked a local dealer he just said the best. I went to the local tyre and service place, and specified which oil to put in, which he obliged. Basically all I was worried about was oil and filter, which cost me total €75 to have done. Last service was with the Toyota dealer for a full service and cost €360.