Car scrappage/breaker

A

ado54

Hi,

I've just found out that my ford fiesta (01, 80K miles) needs it's engine replaced. It broke down on me the other day and needed to be pulled off to nearest garage. The garage have agreed with me that there may be no point paying circa 3k for new engine but they want me to come down and collect the car.
Anyone got any advice here? Would it be worth trying to tow to somewhere they might put in a 2nd hand engine and sell off?
It's got a few dints and scrapes... would you get anything for it if you went to buy a new car as a trade in?
What about scrappage deals? where do I start - would they collect?

Sorry for all the Q's but it was my first car
Thanks.

Re: Car scrappage/braker

A few more Q's!

Whats the rest of the vehicle like? Does the garage where it is at the moment not want it? Are you looking to trade in the remains of your vehicle or just get shot of it? Where in the country are you?

price a second hand engine from a scrapyard look up the Golden pages should only be a couple of hundred euros (roughly €400-€600). then price a few mechanics changing a engine is a relatively easy job should be done in a day so your looking at a days labour + service cost and possibly a new clutch.

A few more Q's!

Whats the rest of the vehicle like? Does the garage where it is at the moment not want it? Are you looking to trade in the remains of your vehicle or just get shot of it? Where in the country are you?

There's a few scrapes and dints on vehicle but still a nice car for a learner. Garage where it's at just said I need to come collect it. Would preferably like to trade in remains of vehicle or get some scrappage.
Car currently in newbridge

Ok, thanks for advice will investigate possibilities of getting a second hand engine.

b s parts just outside duleek in county meath should be able to sort you out with an engine. they will also take the car of your hands if you want rid of it

hi, do you know if a scrapyard will buy a 95 corsa - nct and tax are out this month - its in great condition i got a new car and dont want the hassle of putting it in the buy and sell?

I think its a shame that a 95 car in good condition might be considered fit only for scrap.

If you took it to a scrapper, they'll (gleefully) give you scrap value for it (before selling it for a lot more) so clearly any money you might get for the car is not important?

Granted, you don't want the bother of taxing and NCT-ing the car, but perhaps someone you know or a friend of a friend might be interested in the car on a take-it-away-as-seen basis. They could organise the tax and NCT themselves?

There is definitely a strong market out there for older, smaller cars, which are cheaper to buy, run and insure. I don't think you would find it such a hassle to sell.

I once put a broken down car in the Buy&Sell with the description 'Too good to scrap - free to good home' and it was gone in three days, no bother.