Car repair &sales -insurance?

oludayo20

Hi All,
I am a trained mechanic but along the line I developed an interest in sciences and upon completion of my studies,I now work as a research scientist,I love being creative which was what lead me to being a mechanic in the first place,but recently I 've decided to start a small business i.e buying fairly used cars,repairing them and selling them,this idea actually started as fun but I realize in my spare time I could be a bit productive.but the problem I 'm having is that most of the cars I'm interested in do not have insurance, and I cannot transfer the insurance on my personal car to this cars(engine size),so driving them from point of sale to my place is a bit of risk (evading gardai).this also involves driving the car around during repair,Can anyone advice me on how I can insure this cars for about 1mth i.e this covers the period of purchase,and repair.
Any idea concerning this will be highly appreciated.
Cheers!

hi,

You'll need to get a garage policy, which I warn you now is v hard to get if you havent had one before (silly i know)and quite pricey....best advice would be to contact a broker.

as far as I know, there are only two companies in this market, Hibernian and St Paul Traveller. You probaly need to speak with a broker. You need any types of cover.

At a minimum, with no employees, you need motor traders road risk, being motor insurance, you need goods sold to cover the cars sold and you need defective workmanshipo, to cover any defect in any car you have worked upon. You also need products liabilty to cover any defect in any car sold by you.

One of the posters from the motor trad could answer this better but AFAIK this can cost tens of thousands of Euro.
A friend tried to set up as a panal beater but couldn't get insurance as a low enough price and had to scrap the idea (no pun intended).

There isn't an insurance company on this planet that will insure a vehicle that is in a state of repair to drive on the road no matter how slight, and as for driving un-insured vehicles,,,,,,eh,,, Also as a qualified mechanic you haven't a leg to stand on should anything happen to any of these vehicles in an accident. You are playing with fire.
You had your "Fun" and been v-lucky so far..... I'd stick with the day job if I was you.

try o reilly sullivan,in tallaght,friend of mine got a motor traders policy from them recently.covers him in his tow truck and also any car he is driveing as part of his work,even covers him to drive a motorcycle believe it or not. he said the price was very reasonable.i dont have their number off the top of my head but im sure they are in the golden pages.

sorry......thats o reilly cullen, in tallaght...my mistake. give them a ring,they will probably be able to give you a quote over the phone.

Back