car repair and insurance

misemoll

Hi,
Anyone any advice on what to do in the case of a minor car skirmish, which was my fault, but I suspect that the other party is trying to con me, the quote given for repair (from a private panel beater) was at least twice what was expected, and he says I did more internal damage that appeared at the time. Can I insist on another quote from a different panel beater? I've inquired about the person involved and he is known to do this kind of thing - has made a few personal injury claims in the past.
If I go through insurance, how does the no-claim bonus work, do I start getting back some bonus after the first year? Does the insurance company sent need more than one quote for repair?

It certainly makes sense to seek a 2nd quote from a reputable garage - probably a main dealer. Of course, main dealer prices can be pretty high too, albeit for different reasons. You take the risk that the other party will not cooperate and will go straight to your insurance. But of course, by paying the cost directly yourself, you take the risk of admitting liability - What happens if once you pay for the car repair, the driver suddenly develops whiplash symptoms? For claims above a certain value, the insurance co may well send out their assessor to review the damage.

Do you have any no-claims protection in place? You'll really need to check with your own insurance company to know the impacts of any claim on your policy.

sorry to say but the injured party can bring their car were ever they choose if they wont let you look after their damage you will have to pay up or if as you say you think your being ripped off tell them your going through your insurance it might frightn the garage into lowering the price an assessor will cunduct an examination of car and it them who dictate the price of repair not garage an est is only that till figures are agreed

Back