Car Radio from China/US

Valhalla

Hello,

Does anybody know if Car Stereo's bought in China or US will work over here?
Thanks

I think they may work, but the range of stations you can receive may be limited.

Check the frequency range compared to the ones that are sold here. I presume that the electrics are standard but you might want to double check.

There could be a problem with the electronic tuner. I heard somewhere?? that US radio tuners move in increments 0.5hz different to Euro tuners. This can mean that you get a fuzzy reception. You need to ensure that the radio is capable of switching between the two systems.

no, US ones jump in .2...ie. 91.2, 91.4 in the FM band...most irish ones jump in .05.

Yeah, legend99 is spot on in the difference between the increments, as a result, US digital tuners won't be able to tune in exactly to some stations here. I believe the US bands are assigned on odd numbers after the point, i.e. 91.1, 91.3, 91.5, etc. Understandable US tuners will be designed to tune to these, most of RTE's output for example is on even numbers, 91.0, 91.2 etc.

I had a high-spec walkman years back that had a small switch inside the cover to switch between different increments. If it wasn't on the correct one, it was impossible to tune some stations properly.

Also, RDS is a European system, the US have RBDS, although I believe they are trying to harmonise the two.

Leo

Back