Car prices on CBG/Carzone - high or about right?

LeoD

Looking to buy a used car in the next few weeks so was wondering what experience people have had with buying used cars recently. I've heard all the stories about the great bargains out there but I was just wondering do the prices advertised on the above websites accurately reflect what they are getting or are sellers still going high to leave room for bargaining (especially 08's) and if so by how much? For example:

2008 Mondeo LX TDCi - 1.8 - 5,600 miles - €23,650 (€26,665 new - 10% reduction)
2008 Mondeo LX - 1.6 - 16,500 miles - €20,999 (€26,595 new - 21% reduction)
2007 Focus LX Connection - 1.4 - 19,800 miles - €14,750 (€21,030 new - 30% reduction)

Amidst all the talk of dealers unable to shift cars I'm just wondering why would they over-price cars instead of charging what they think the market will pay and get people buying? Or am I being completely naive?

I would say they are very high, when a car is driven off the forecourt it loses the vat straight away.

In the current climate I would say 30% off the new price. for the low mileage Mondeo.

The asking price for the TDCi Mondeo seems a bit off the mark alright. 30% off would bring it to €18,665 - I'd be worried that if I offered that I could get a box in the head! :eek:

Personally I would prefer to get a box in the head rather than be ripped off. Don't worry as long as they know you are interested they will not let you go. This is Car dealers we're talking about - from the same family as Estate Agents.

Was offered a range rover sport 2007 model, the dealer was looking for 33k 6 weeks ago, rang me last week 28k. New last year 65k.

Golf R32 six months ago 18k 18 months old now more like 11k.

They are not selling cars and all they can say is no. Its called negotiation, if you say 22k and he said yes gutted, if you say 15k and he says no then what? he might say 20/21, even more will be forthcoming then.

If you don't ask you will never know and if he "Boxes" you, sue him and you might get it for free. Happy days.

Back